Reunion Island has two new listed historical monuments, representative of the diversity of the island’s military heritage. The Bourbon Redoubt, located in Saint-Denis on the plain of the Redoubt, is a defensive building built in 1756. Built more than two centuries later, the Beaulieu gendarmerie in Saint-Benoît is a collection of administrative buildings and housing designed by architect Jean Bossu in 1972, and representative of the architecture of the modern movement.
The Bourbon Redoubt was inaugurated in 1756 by Governor Jean-Baptiste Bouvet de Lozier. This fortin was designed by the military engineer Antoine-Marie Desforges-Boucher in order to protect the axis between Saint-Denis and Saint-Paulon the eve of the Seven Years' War (1756-1763). Built of cut stone with walls of 2.5 m thick, it takes the form of a truncated pyramid covered in terrace, it is decorated above the door with a crest carved with weapons of the Compagnie des Indes. Equipped with cannons in 1810 during the English invasion, the building then served as a military and civilian prison. Its surrounding wall, circular in shape, was raised in 1850. The building, converted into a powder shop in the 1870s, underwent some modifications for this purpose (roof shape) and was used until 1964. This building, now abandoned by all military activity, is occupied by the association for the safeguarding and valorization of the military heritage, which opens it to visitors.
The Redoubt has been listed as a historical monument since 2007, it is now classified as a historical monument by order of 19 October 2018 following the advice of the National Commission for Heritage and Architecture, which recognized his interest as a remarkable witness to the military architecture of the eighteenth century on Reunion Island.
Beaulieu Gendarmerie Barracks, built in 1972 in Saint-Benoît, is one of the latest Jean Bossu in La Réunion. Located on a large triangular plot, it consists of a main building housing the offices and services of the gendarmerie, as well as a housing complex. This administrative building consists of two volumes of different height assembled in open angle. The whole is marked by the modernist vocabularyin particular by a base in the form of piles. The architect also adapts to the climatic conditions: the openings are set back from the facade, behind concrete slats that act as sun breaks. The facades are punctuated by the alternation of the blind parts treated in flat surfaces and the open parts of piercings and were also painted with colour aplats, accentuating the different reliefs of the building. Les police quarters, low-level buildings on the ground floor, are designed on the same constructive model and are arranged in a cluster in a large wooded park constituting a residential area distinct from administrative spaces.
The Beaulieu barracks has been listed as historical monuments since 2010, it is now classified as a historical monument by ministerial decree of 22 October 2018 following the opinion of the National Commission for Heritage and Architecture which has recognized the architectural and landscape quality of this complex designed by the architect Jean Bossu, a landmark in modern architecture.
Direction des affaires culturelles de La Réunion
Communication and media: firstname.lastname@example.org / 069 62 01 85 40
Préfecture de La Réunion - Service régional de la communication interministérielle
Phone: 0262 40 74 18 / 74 19 / 74 34 – Email: email@example.com