If the investigations on architecture of the second twentieth century are now about ten years old, this heritage remains largely less recognized by the edility and the public, hence the interest of the censuses and monographs proposed here. Logically, after the census phase, which delimited the corpus of ensembles and residencies in Marseilles in its extension, the aim was to reduce their contours in order to develop a greater understanding, formalized by the monograph sheets. By definition, they reflect only one object of the corpus, but all the monographs thus constitute a collection covering a series of similar objects allowing the construction of typologies, classifications and comparisons.
1.1425 - The Blue Navy
Saint-Gabriel south of the 14th arrondissement
Literature references: 20th century heritage, domestic architecture
X edition directory number: 1425, p 40. 2005
Conception & writing T. Durousseau arch. 2007
designation: The Blue Navy
88 chemin de Sainte-Marthe, quartier Saint-Gabriel 13015
Lambert 3: latitude 3.04929; longitude 43.3246
Access: bus no. 30: Canebière - Les Aygalades, no. 31: Canebière - La Batarelle
Owner: HMP, 325 avenue de Frais Vallon, 13388 Marseille Cedex
program: Housing group of 788 housing units.
Contracting authority: Office Public d'Habitations à Loyer Moderate de la Ville.
Set of 6 buildings, schools, shops.
dates, authors: Exempted from PC, Works: 1957-1959.
J. Rozan, Chief Architect, A. Devin, Group Head Architect, E. Castel, E. Gauthier and J.M. Sourdeau, Operations Architects.
Companies: Chagnaud, Travaux du Midi, Caillol.
see notices: 1318 - Frais Vallon - 1509 - Lévêque campaign
sources: AD: 165 W 509, 12 O 325, 1747-1748, 86 J
Marseille Magazine no. 20
The Blue Navy, a twin of Campagne Lévêque, is carried out in exactly the same frame as the second tranche of the Industrial Sector. Although also built on the grounds of the bastide, La Marine located on the hill of Saint-Gabriel, south of Bon Secours and the Lycée Saint-Exupéry, will benefit from an overall plan established in 1952 by J. de Mailly, architect of the Ministry of Reconstruction.
The mass plan is not very hierarchical, composed on the prospects despite the addition to the schools of a small shopping center. The orientation of the buildings echoes J. Rozan’s plan for the Rosiers complex.
It will include the hierarchical organization of the Reconstruction and Campaign Lévêque: chief architect, group leader and architect of operation.
The distribution and structural plans are identical; an articulation on the site socket of a monumental 17-cage bar, two spike bars on the tray and shorter bars in the slope ranging from R+11 to R+13. These industrial buildings develop a large reach (5.40m) by their construction in prefabricated panels set up by crane road.
This method of disseminating large groups of dwelling marks the refusal of the legitimacy to over-concentrate similar programmes at one point.
© Thierry Durousseau, 2004-2005