Alpes-Maritimes - Nice - Synagogue
Located a few blocks from Place Masséna, in the new district, the synagogue on Rue Gustave Deloye, replaces the synagogue on present-day Rue Benoit Bunico, which has become too small.
It is sold to a private individual and the proceeds of the sale will be used to build the new temple.
The case is original: the building is built by a private owner to whom the Israelite community pays a deposit. The bill of sale will be signed after the work is completed. The official inauguration takes place on March 21, 1886. Paul Martin, engineer, signs the readings. This engineer from Nice is known for being the author of the Palais de l'Agriculture built in 1901 on the Promenade des Anglais. The party he adopted here is in the spirit and style in use for synagogues in the 19th century.
The main façade has a Romano-Byzantine composition. It is distinguished by the stone cladding treated in bosseage as a Middle Eastern city gate.
Inside the sanctuary preceded by a few steps is richly decorated, like an altarpiece, sheltering behind a curtain the scrolls of the Torah. The central space is divided in height by a gallery supported by cylindrical pillars. During the war of 1939-45 it suffered damage. It is used as a sorting and internment centre before deportation. However, the synagogue has retained all its original furniture.
In 1993 the artist from Nice, Theo Tobiasse, created 12 stained glass windows on the biblical theme that he called "the song of the prophets". This artist also decorated the 7 large stained glass windows of the synagogue of Strasbourg and the chapel Saint Sauveur du Cannet inaugurated in 1989.
This religious ensemble from the end of the 19th century represents a milestone in the history of the Israelite community of Nice whose presence is attested since medieval times.
protection: in full (cad. LC 114), registration by order of 17 April 2007.