On May 2, 2016, the prefect of the Nord – Pas-de-Calais region, Picardie, the prefect of the Nord region, signed four inscription orders for historic monuments. This decision follows the favourable opinion given by the Regional Commission for Heritage and Sites (CRPS) on 18 June and 17 November 2015 to the Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs (DRAC).

Department of North:

• The bastion of the Forges and its curtain in Bouchain, a rare remnant of the city’s fortifications, is one of the oldest examples of the bastioned fortification in the Spanish Netherlands (1532-34), built by Jehan Lartésien, master mason of Aire-sur-Merla-Lys, with the advice of Jacopo di Costantino Seghizzi says the Brother of Modena, Italian engineer. Due to its age, the Bouchain bastion has been proposed for classification which will be examined later by the National Commission of Historical Monuments. The inscription concerns the Forges bastion with the adjoining curtain including the fortified elements of the Second World War in full.

• The villa «Les Disques»Martin Luther King Street, marks one of the entrances to the Excentric district in Dunkerque, designed and built by François Reynaert from 1926. An artist not trained as an architect, he designed his own house in 1930, the ground floor of which is occupied by the only music store in Dunkirk. Its atypical facades reveal its original artistic look. This protection complements those of other houses in the area dating from 1988.The inscription concerns the villa «Les Disques» in full.

Department of Pas-de-Calais:

• The Castle of Berles - Monchelits outbuildings and farm, built between 1730 and 1820 by the Llallart, an important Artois family, form a remarkable composition in the heart of the village. In 1823, a landscaped park was created according to the principles of the art of the gardens of the time: work of spaces by vegetable masses combining wooded covered spaces and open meadows, with a network of alleys offering points of view. The inscriptioncerne facades and roofs of the castle, the commons and the farm, and in totality the ground of the courtyard of commons, the gates and walls of fence of the domain with their gates, the park.

• At the end of a long tree-lined driveway between village and countryside, the small parenty castle was built in 1785 according to a model in vogue, uncommon in the region: a pavilion with semi-circular forebody on garden, completed by two low wings in the XIXe century. The inscription concerns the facades and roofs of the castle, and all the walls of fence, the gates and the entrance gate, the ground of the entrance courtyard, the park with its wall of fence in flint.

The request for protection of a monument’s historic monuments is made by public or private owners. The protection of buildings takes place after consulting the CRPS and takes effect after signing the decrees by the regional prefect. Buildings listed as historic monuments, because of their historical, artistic and architectural interest, are subject to special provisions for their conservation so that all maintenance work, repair, restoration or modification can be carried out while maintaining the cultural interest that justified their protection. Protected monuments are monitored by the Regional Conservation of Historic Monuments (DRAC).