Within the framework of policies for the democratization of culture and the development of the public, youth training and policies for arts and cultural education and media and information education, The Normandy Regional Cultural Affairs Directorate and its partners are launching this call for projects.
Presentation of the device
What is the Residencies of Artists in Schools in Normandy?
Within the framework of the national plan for arts and cultural education and policies of democratization of access to culture, development and training of the public, the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs of Normandy, the Rectorate of the Academy of Normandy, the Directorates of the Departmental Services of National Education, and the Regional Directorate of Food, Agriculture and Forest of Normandy, in partnership with the Departments launch a call for projects for the establishment of artist-residency twinning in schools, schools, higher education or training bodies, acting on school time.
It offers to all schools of the academy of Normandy as well as to institutions of higher education and other institutions (CFA, ...), the possibility of welcoming artists, cultural professionals in residence over a school year and initiating artistic actions radiating on the school year and on a wider educational community.
New for 2023-2024
It is proposed, on an experimental basis, to associate more closely the arts and cultural education project with the artists' creation project, by offering the possibility for artists to receive in addition a grant for time dedicated to their creation, thus increasing the time of presence in the establishment by a minimum of one week.
The solicitation of this grant will be conditional on:
- The development of an artistic memorandum of intent for this creation.
- The explanation of the link between the creative project and the arts and cultural education project.
- An explanation of how these creative times are to be shared with students and the educational community.
- The designation by the establishment of a place made available for that time of creation.
- The one-week mark-up of the artistic presence in the establishment.
The project must be the subject of a restitution by the public concerned and be valued, possibly on digital media (blog, site, mobile application, online edition, sheet on a dedicated portal).
Objectives of the approach
The call for projects Artist Residencies in Normandy aims to:
- Welcoming artists in residence for cultural action,
- Promote the meeting with artists, cultural professionals, and diverse artistic practices,
- Mobilize regional cultural institutions, artists and cultural professionals in mediation actions, particularly for the experimentation of innovative forms,
- To promote cultural openness, artistic and cultural education and discovery of the creative process,
- Encourage people to visit the territory’s places of artistic and heritage creation and dissemination.
Want to know more about arts and cultural education? Visit here:
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
- Local public enterprises
- Public institutions/ State services
Are eligible pairs consisting of:
- Professional cultural and/or artistic structures (legal persons) engaged in cultural projects in Normandy, attesting to a professional activity of creation and dissemination inscribed in the regulatory framework in force.
- Schools for students, students or apprentices:
- Primary and primary schools
- Secondary schools
- Agricultural education establishments
- Higher education institutions
- Apprenticeship Training Centres
- Vocational training bodies
Other partners, can join if they enter into the coherence of the project, like the local authorities but also structures under reception of leisure, centers of animations, Youth and Culture Centre with the accreditation of Youth and Popular Education or Social Centres under the Family Allowance Fund.
An educational institution may submit only one project, with the exception of universities.
Projects can cross different typologies of partner structures. In particular, for the 1st degree, around the question of the link with extra-curricular and extra-curricular time and for the 1st and second degrees around cycle 3.
Artist-residency twinning projects in arts and cultural education are linked to an artistic or heritage object and integrated into the cultural project of the two partner structures. They provide for the reception of artists for a work of mediation and artistic practice around their works and their creative process.
List of possible artistic fields
- Heritage and space arts
- Historical Monuments – Archaeology – Museums – Architecture and Urban Planning – Garden and Landscape Arts – Everyday Arts: Design, Crafts
- Performing arts
- Theatre – Music – Dance – Circus Arts – Street Arts – Mime, Puppets
- Sound and visual arts
- Visual arts: painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, illustration, comics, graphic arts, sound arts
- Digital arts
- Cinema, audiovisual, video
- Language arts
- Written and oral literature: novel, short story, poetry, theatre, essay, etc.
- Media: print, radio, audiovisual
Within the scope defined by the specifications (can be consulted at the bottom of the page), the content remains free and artists or cultural professionals are invited to imagine all forms of mediation that they consider relevant by using their own practices and/or practices from other disciplines, to raise awareness of their artistic work.
The content of the project must be developed in accordance with the principles of arts education and
cultural: meeting with artists, works and creative processes; artistic practice;
acquisition of knowledge and skills.
A minimum of two classes must be directly involved in the action, with 20 hours of artistic intervention per minimum student. But an influence on the entire educational structure must be sought, through other forms of intervention (meeting of artists, punctual workshops, diffusion of small form in situ, conferences...). The expected artistic presence is a minimum of two weeks.
The DRAC grant of up to €5,000 to the artistic partner (legal entity) represents a maximum of 75% of the project budget (65% for higher education), the institution/structure mobilizes its resources and calls on partners in its sector.
For projects that are closely linked to an artist creation project, a grant of €2,500 dedicated to creation can be requested in addition.
This grant is strictly for the intervention of artists or cultural professionals for the 2023/2024 school year. All project-induced expenditure may be included in the budget but the DRAC grant does not cover the purchase of equipment, ticketing and transport of project beneficiaries.
For more information on financing, you can consult the specifications found at the bottom of the page.
The projects will be examined by juries made up of representatives of DRAC Normandie, the Rector of the academy of Normandy, DSDEN, Departments, DRAAF, ComUE.
The twinning-residencies of artists in arts and cultural education will have to be the subject of an agreement between the two partner structures.
In the "Evaluation Method and Selected Indicators" section, the project leader will ensure that the indicators he defines as relevant for the qualitative evaluation of the project are clearly indicated. These indicators must be recalled on the balance sheet provided in the appendix. This sheet will be sent within three months after the end of the project.
Project promoters undertake to
- provide the partners, one month before the start of the action, with the final timetable of the key steps as validated by the partners for the effective implementation of the project.
- include on all documents and communication materials the words "twinning – artist residencies, annual partnership in arts and cultural education" as well as the logos of all partners, in accordance with the graphic charters.
The selected projects must be valued by schools/schools on the ADAGE application during the identification phase of the EAC projects conducted within the school/institution during the 2023-2024 school year.
- Application deadline: 07 April 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- An acknowledgement of receipt with a file number will be sent to you by e-mail within 15 days. No news of this acknowledgement of receipt within fifteen days after the
Closing date, please email RDCA: email@example.com
- The projects will be selected by juries that will meet from mid-May 2023.
- At the end of the commissions, a link to the record of decisions will be sent to the cultural structures.
- The decisions of each of the juries will be published on the website of the DRAC and the partners.
Development of school-based artist residency twinning projects:
For the first degree
It is recommended that schools and artistic partners contact the relevant pedagogical advisors of the various artistic and cultural fields beforehand. Projects must be targeted by the management of the partner school and the district NEI or the Inspector of Academy – Academic Director of National Education Services.
For the second degree
It is recommended that schools and artistic partners contact the Academic Delegation for Cultural Action beforehand and in particular the academic leaders and/or teachers - relay. Projects must be submitted to the Board of Directors and referred to by the school head.
For higher education
Projects must be covered by the department in charge of
the culture within the institution.
For all structures
Cultural structures are also invited to contact, before the project is submitted, the Cultural and Territorial Action Pole of the DRAC: firstname.lastname@example.org
Filing of the file
- Download and complete the application, which you will find at the bottom of the page. The file is sent by the cultural structure, it is completed in co-construction with the partner school/institution. All entries must be completed. No supporting documents will be reviewed. Cultural structures that have received a grant for a twinning in 2021 must fill in the balance sheet, indicating, if the project is not completed, the provisional schedule.
- The file must then be sent by the artistic partner at the DRAC, to the address email@example.com for all files. This folder must be sent in pdf format and the page containing the scanned signatures in the same email.
- Enter "EAC TWINNING" with the name of the legal entity (artistic partner) that will carry the project, in the subject line of the email.
NB: the application files were created with Libre Office (free software) and are opened optimally with this software.
Examples of projects previously supported
You will find on this page examples of achievements supported under this call for projects.
You can also consult the 2023 decision statement of this call for projects:
If you have any questions about student residencies in Normandy, please contact DRAC Normandie:
Cultural and territorial action pole
02 32 10 71 00/ 07 60 55 12 18
13 bis rue Saint-Ouen, 14052 Caen Cedex 4
The submission for the year 2023 has been completed.