A variation of the residency of associate artist, the mechanism of association of a composer to a multidisciplinary scene reinforces the lasting presence of artists and creators within cultural institutions. The Ministry of Culture, Sacem (Society of Authors, Composers and Music Publishers) and SACD (Society of Authors) award a grant to the promoters of such projects.
Presentation of the device
What is the composer and composer device associated in multidisciplinary scenes?
The composer and composer device associated in the multidisciplinary scenes allows to improve the place of the musical creation in the networks of the multidisciplinary scenes or scenes of creation not dedicated exclusively to the music.
This device facilitates composers' access to tools and means of production and dissemination. It makes it possible to give a structuring place to music in the medium and long term, for the diffusion but also the production and the actions of artistic and cultural education. Finally, this device aims to promote, through the presence and mediation of a creator, the meeting between artists, works and the public.
Declination of the associate artist residency, the modalities of which are described in the circular of 8 June 2016 on support for artists and artistic teams, the arrangement for composer or associate composer was created in 2005, at the initiative of the Ministry of Culture and Sacem. Since 2021, SACD has also been a partner.
Objectives of the approach
The aim of this scheme is to propose a framework for shared collaboration between the direction of a multidisciplinary scene (national scenes, conventioned scenes, etc.) or a creation scene not exclusively dedicated to music (CDN, CCN, cultural meeting centres, etc.) and a composer, to contribute to the enrichment of their respective artistic and cultural activities.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
- Local public enterprises
- EPCI with own taxation
The place of depository of the application must be a multidisciplinary place or a scene of creation not dedicated exclusively to music.
By way of derogation for overseas territories, the application may be filed by a place dedicated to music, provided that it proposes a partnership with a multidisciplinary place or not exclusively dedicated to music.
Neither the depositary place nor the beneficiary associated artist must have been the subject of funding under the scheme in the year or season preceding the application.
The association of a composer with a multidisciplinary or creative scene not exclusively dedicated to music must give rise to a partnership on a two-season duration (corresponding to two budget years).
The following expenses may be subsidized:
- creative, dissemination, arts and cultural education activities
- expenses related to the composer’s artistic activity (communication, technical, living expenses, etc.)
Prior to the filing of the application, the person in charge of the venue and the composer must attach the attachment of the music advisor of the DRAC concerned.
The aid amounts to €25,000 per year, or €50,000 over the two years.
The grant cannot represent the total costs of the scheme, other financial partners being expected.
The aid is disbursed as soon as the project is accepted and at the beginning of the second year.
Half of the grant is paid by the Ministry of Culture; the other half is paid by SACEM or SACD.
The Associate Artist and Site Management will be invited to submit their application to an Advisory Committee composed of representatives from SACEM, SACD, DRAC, DGCA and qualified personalities.
The administration reserves the right to pre-screen files before the commission.
The project presented must develop and enrich the respective roles of the composer and the stage in the following areas:
- Place of music in the stage: the composer is associated with the stage management team to participate in the musical programming of the venue.
- Musical programming: the venue must schedule several musical projects of the associated artist during its season.
- Cultural action and artistic education: the composer, the composer, participates, in connection with the relevant service of the stage, in the definition and realization of cultural actions, artistic education, awareness raising and mediation. The project must involve actors from the educational and social sectors.
- Partnerships: The composer, the composer and the stage strive to increase the influence of their joint action by establishing partnerships ranging from local to international. The stage must find production and distribution partnerships within its network. Moreover, the composer, the composer, can open the stage to the diverse musical network present in the territory (independent ensembles, orchestras, operas, National Centre for Musical Creation, festivals, conservatories, centres of higher education, performing arts, etc.).
Attention is paid to parity and to supporting the emergence of associate artists.
The associated artist and the director of the stage concerned shall jointly define the artistic and cultural project, the contents, as well as the necessary human, technical and financial resources, in partnership with the performers and/or ensembles and companies formed.
The collaboration between the composer and the stage results in the establishment of a two-year agreement and is evaluated mid-term and at the end of the agreement with the music advisor, in the presence of the person responsible for the place and the associated artist.
- Application deadline: 28 February 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- Commission and hearing of project sponsors: 30 and 31 March 2023, depending on the number of applications received. The results will be communicated directly to project sponsors. The duration of the project presentation by the candidates is 10 minutes, supplemented by 10 minutes of exchange with the members of the commission.
The project balance sheet must be submitted no later than two years after the grant has been paid.
- To download the form, click on the "Access the form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Fill out the form and return it by email to the DRAC concerned and to:
the delegation to the music: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact information for your RDCA is provided below.
If you have any questions about this device, please contact:
Directorate-General for Artistic Creation
01 40 15 88 15
62 Rue Beaubourg, 75003 Paris
or to the DRAC/DAC of the place of realization of your project: