The mission on metavers development submitted its report on 24 October 2022 to Rima Abdul Malak, Minister of Culture, and Jean-Michel Barrot, Deputy Minister for Digital Transition and Telecommunications.
By a mission letter dated February 14, 2022, the Minister of Economy, Finance and Recovery, the Minister of Culture as well as the Secretary of State in charge of the Digital Transition and Electronic Communications had wished the establishment of an exploratory mission on the development of metavers.
A take note report to open the debate
From avatars to digital twins, from crypto-assets to virtual reality headsets, metaverse development is a major opportunity. As virtual world projects multiply, the terms used refer to different uses, technologies, actors and issues. The mission on metavers has therefore focused on providing keys to understanding to clarify the debate, seize emerging opportunities, better understand the risks posed by metavers and bring together French actors around a common horizon.
More than 80 personalities were consulted: virtual reality and blockchain entrepreneurs, cultural actors, artists, video game professionals, researchers in social sciences, artificial intelligence and computer science.
Through this first report on the subject, the co-applicants formulate a series of proposals and call for experts, private and public actors, researchers and citizens to come together to discuss them.
10 proposals for a French and European vision of metavers
The report calls for the definition of a true French and European metaverse policy. It proposes ten levers of action which aim to develop technological infrastructure, support innovation, focus on uses, orchestrate regulation and take into account societal and environmental issues.
These proposals include:
- Seize the opportunity of metavers to regain leadership positions in global digital services, in France and on the European continent
- Launch now the work of adapting European texts (RGDP, Digital Services Act, Digital Markets Act) to the challenges of metavers
- Develop a rigorous analysis of metaverse value chains to best guide strategic investment areas and limit the risks of loss of sovereignty or loss of value
- Seize the opportunity of organizing the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris to bring together the French metavers stakeholders around concrete projects, particularly in the cultural, territorial and heritage development fields
- Bringing the public authority to bring out the common and essential services allowing the advent of a plurality of interoperable metavers
- Using public procurement to meet the objectives of cultural and technological sovereignty by supporting hybrid arrangements between French technological structures and cultural institutions
- Reinvest the bodies responsible for negotiating technical standards to ensure that France and the main French players actively participate in discussions on the interoperability of immersion technologies
- Support interdisciplinary research initiatives to simultaneously develop experimental metavers guided by societal needs (culture, health, education, environment) and the means to assess their socio-technical risks through empirical studies
- Create a research and coordination institute, modelled on the Ircam, which would be both a research laboratory in computer science dedicated to immersive arts, a place of coordination between researchers and artists for the creation of innovative immersive works in metavers and a counter of expertise for all the cultural institutions concerned
- Explore environmentally responsible solutions and develop a system to measure the environmental impact of the Metavers infrastructure
Download: summary of the report