DRAC Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes: Call for applications 2023 – 2024, Artist residency at the Observatoire de Lyon, Université Claude Bernard LYON 1
Lyon 1 University offers courses in science, health, technology and sport. It welcomes more than 47,000 students on several campuses, including the one in Saint-Genis-Laval for the Observatoire de Lyon and the one at the LyonTech-La Doua campus in Villeurbanne for the Mission Culture. It is distinguished by the richness of its cultural offer with 24 workshops of Artistic and Cultural practice, the professional theatre Astrée can accommodate up to 450 people, proposing a programming around the theatre, music and contemporary dance and the DOMUS Gallery
The Observatoire de Lyon, Observatoire des Sciences de l'Univers, attached to the Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, brings together the Laboratoire de Geolologie de Lyon, Terre, Planètes, Environnement (LGL-TPE) and the Centre de Recherche Astrophysique de Lyon (CRAL). The Observatory’s premises are located on its historic site in Saint-Genis-Laval as well as on the LyonTech-La Doua and Gerland university campuses.
The main research themes concern the cosmos, galaxies, stars, planets, the solar system and our planet Earth, the geological evolution of the Earth, the appearance of life on Earth, the evolution of life, the first animals etc. In addition to research and initial and continuing training are specific missions such as the «observation services» and the dissemination of scientific and technical culture.
Create a unifying artistic project within the Observatory (involvement of all staff, consideration of the themes of the two laboratories, consideration of the different geographical sites):
- Create a permanent “object” (visual arts, comics, cinema, digital creation, music, etc.) at the end of the residency
- Involve students, research faculty and administrative and research staff at UCBL in the creation and implementation process.
- Conduct one or more workshops for students and staff of the UCBL, particularly students and staff of the Observatory.
- Contribute to the project’s influence through various stages of restitution, before final release, for the general public (family) and the school and/or integrated public at public events organized by the Lyon Observatory (example: open doors).
- Coordinate mediation and dissemination of information around the project.
L’accueil en résidence d’artiste(s) en immersion permettra aux étudiants et au personnel de Lyon 1 de :
- Experience a unique interpenetration of arts and sciences
- Discover the process of artistic creation, share it with the artist(s) involved in the project
- To conceive and conceptualize differently the results of their work by confronting them with the creativity of artists.
- Engage in dialogue on fundamental research issues and their societal implications
- Share with the public in an artistic way the results of the project’s work.
The process of creation and dissemination will, in addition, bring visibility to the work of the Observatory and make the ongoing research public.
Feb 2023 : Call for applications launched
25 May 2023, 11.50 pm : Deadline for submission of projects
26 May-1 June 2023 : Selection and validation of projects by the selection committee; Pre-selection of some dossiers
Mid-June 2023 : Meeting with the pre-selected artists
Jul 2023 : Announcement of the selected project
1 October 2023- 16 December 2023 : Immersion within the Observatory
From January 2024: Participatory creation and artistic production phase
September 2024 : Restitution of the artistic project of the residence
download the call for projects:
With the support of the DRAC Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes