Trades & training of monuments and sites
The trades of historical monuments and heritage sites include conservation, documentation, research, architects, technical and administrative staff, project managers and experts.
These professions are exercised in central administration, in Paris, and at the regional and departmental level, in the regional cultural affairs directorates (regional conservation of historical monuments – CRMH, and departmental units of architecture and heritage – UDAP).
These occupations are also carried out in public establishments under the Ministry of Culture, responsible for the conservation and development of State monuments (Centre des monuments nationaux, châteaux et domaines nationaux de Versailles et Marly, de Chambord ou de Fontainebleau… ) or services under national jurisdiction (Heritage and Photography Library, Historical Monuments Research Laboratory).
The professions of conservation
- Regional Curator of Historical Monuments
- Curator of historical monuments
The professions of architecture
- Architect and urban planner of the State (AUE) some of which are named architects of the buildings of France (ABF)
- Chief Architect of Historic Monuments (ACMH)
The business of documentation
- Desk officer
- Documentation secretary
The technical trades
- Cultural and Heritage Services Engineer
- Technician of the cultural services and buildings of France
The research professions
- Research technician
- Assistant engineer
- Design engineer
- Research engineer
The professions of mediation
- Speaker’s guide
The business of administration
- Administrative attaché
- Administrative secretary
- Administrative assistant
Read more in the brochure : Higher Education - Culture/ Edition 2019-2020 - Heritage
The training courses, competitions and professional examinations by sector are described in several pages of the site www.culture.gouv.fr such as those relating to competitions, architecture, conservation-restoration or museums in France.
- Professional competitions and examinations of the Ministry of Culture
- Architectural and landscape professions
- Initial training in the field of conservation and restoration
- Museum trades