Hyères - Le Roqueirol
- department: Var
- Town: Hyères-les-Palmiers
- naming: Le Roqueirol
- address : Place de Noailles
- author: Bernard Denjoy, Jacques Vissière (architects)
- date: 1964-1972
- protection: unprotected building
- label patrimoine XXe: Commission régionale du patrimoine et des sites (CRPS) du 2 July 2015
This operation is part of the extension of the urbanization of the early twentieth century, included in the Municipal Development and Reconstruction Plan after the war, and which provided here that the alignment of the railway track became a communal track.
Indeed, the land is located south of the old railway line from the coast of Toulon to Fréjus (permanently closed in 1948) and abandoned railway, forming a clear break of urbanization. The station of the city of Hyères was overlooking the Place Théodore Lefebvre (current media library).
To the south of this square is Le Roqueirol (176 dwellings), within a large plot of land with a lot of undeveloped space, reserved for gardens or parking.
The specificity common to the 5 buildings (1 tower, 4 bars) is the transparency of the ground floor, which allows a pedestrian traffic and a visual relationship with the exterior of the condominium.
A tower marks the entrance on the side of Place Lefebvre. It is connected to a low building, on stilts, which houses shops. This building makes up the angle of the L-space that distributes the majority of the buildings. Its supporting structures – concrete pillars and beams – protruding from the façade have decorative geometric shapes.
Like the tower, the other buildings are on stilts. The entrance halls in wood and glass are completely transparent; at the back, the glass panels are mounted on Mondrian-like geometric frames.
The façades receiving the day parts are animated by thin balconies with railings composed of a full lightening surmounted by a vertical bar. The rear facades receive balconies partially closed by concrete panels to hide the dryers. The result is a play of full and hollow that animates the facades on the large interior space.
Car and pedestrian access to the buried garage is indicated by a wave-shaped concrete cap that highlights the plastic side of the structure. Thus the mineral and the vegetable are expressed at the same time on the ground floor spaces.
This ensemble, designed by two Nice architects, Bernard Denjoy and Jacques Vissière, is characterized by its very fine design, great attention to circulation at all scales, careful treatment of matter and light.
Notice in the study "Toulon Provence Méditerranée, ensembles and residences of the period 1945/1975"
- Editor: Sylvie Denante, DRAC PACA
- Source:Jean-Charles Bruno, Jade Morelli, Claudine Bron, "Toulon Provence Mediterranean, ensembles and residences from 1945/1975", Drac Paca, 2007-2008.