60 remarkable buildings or ensembles are the subject of synthetic sheets combining text and illustrations. There are also 16 files presenting an in-depth analysis of 16 remarkable buildings or ensembles selected from the general list and visible from the summaries and documented by a simple link.
1.Antibes - Church of the Sacred Heart
documentary references : Pre-inventory of the Glorious Thirty - Alpes-Maritimes, 2005-2008
denomination : Religious architecture
editors : Jean-Lucien Bonillo, Raffaella Telese - INAMA Laboratory/ ENSA Marseille
author, dates : Maurice Haury, architect DPLG, 1969-1972
protection, label : The church is in a protected area Historical Monuments. Label Patrimoine du XXe siècle (CRPS du 16 November 2006)
The project of the parish of the Sacred Heart is part of the campaign of new churches launched in 1965 in the diocese of Nice. His story, however, is closely linked to that of his first parish priest, Léon d'Agon de la Contrie. Born in 1908 in Aïn-Beïda of an Alsatian family settled in Algeria, he assumed the charge of parish priest of the church of Constantine before being appointed on August 15, 1964 parish priest of Notre-Dame de la Route in Antibes (temporary chapel in prefabricated, built in 1958). In 1964, the parish priest of Agon organized collections to replace the temporary church with a new building and he obtained permission from the diocese of Nice to create a "memorial chapel" dedicated to the repatriated from North Africa. In the new building it also gathers North African religious relics.
A major component of a parish complex, the church is organized on three levels. The chapels of remembrance and week, in half basement, are served by an external ambulatory that runs along the south facade. On the upper level is the large volume of the main nave, with 600 amphitheatre seats around the high altar, overlooked by a grandstand for the organ and choir.
The conception of the church is based on the common desire of the architect and the parish priest to create a convivial space that allows the faithful to gather around the altar. The architect drew two half-circles offset on an east-west axis that are expressed in elevation by two curved walls, one blind to the north and the other pierced by small rectangular openings not arranged to the south that illuminate the sacristy. At the eastern end of this axis are the ramp and the access gate to the major church while the western end is marked by the bell tower.
The organization of the plan generates two volumes of different height (two half hulls) covered by two concrete sails inclined in an upward movement towards the bell tower which culminates at 30 meters.
The difference in height between the two cover levels is bought by a large stained glass window that illuminates the volume of the nave. While the use of raw concrete and the treatment of the openings of the southern façade indicate a certain inspiration of the religious architecture of Le Corbusier (Ronchamp, Firminy), the lyrical flight of the cover curves evokes the architecture of some "secular" buildings (stadiums, etc.) by Japanese architect Kenzo Tange.