If the investigations on architecture of the second twentieth century are now about ten years old, this heritage remains largely less recognized by the edility and the public, hence the interest of the censuses and monographs proposed here. Logically, after the census phase, which delimited the corpus of ensembles and residencies in Marseilles in its extension, the aim was to reduce their contours in order to develop a greater understanding, formalized by the monograph sheets. By definition, they reflect only one object of the corpus, but all the monographs thus constitute a collection covering a series of similar objects allowing the construction of typologies, classifications and comparisons.
1.1356 - Les Oliviers A
the ZUP, 13th district, northeast of Marseille
Literature references: 20th century heritage, domestic architecture
X edition directory no. 1356, p. 37. 2005
Conception & writing T. Durousseau arch. 2007
designation: Les Oliviers A
Merlin Road, Saint-Jérôme district 13013
Lambert: Lat. 3.07585; Long. 43.3322
Access: bus no. 27: metro La Rose - Lycée Saint-Exupéry
bus no. 32: Canebière Bourse - La Batarelle Boiseraie , bus no. 32bis: Canebière Bourse - Faculties Saint-Jérôme
Owner: Habitat Marseille Provence, 25 avenue de Frais Vallon, 13013, Marseille
program: Housing group included in ZUP 1.
Contracting authority: Office public d'HLM de la Ville de Marseille.
Single building of 400 units.
dates, authors: Building Permits: 1964. Completion 1968.
Marius David, Robert Lange, Albert Michel, architects.
Company, Auxiliary Company.
sources: AD: 2071 W 25 (70.587)
Building A des Oliviers is located on a slightly sloping site in a southeasterly direction, at an altitude between 109.90 and 103.60 m. It is part of the eastern zone of ZUP No. 1 - Sector I. The 1964 mass plan provided for the installation of two buildings, a long bent bar and a smaller right bar. The latter was abandoned in favour of the denser group Les Lilas.
The large folded bar of 13 levels directly refers to those of Les Lauriers and Saint-Just Bellevue following in the same north-south alignment which gives the feeling of an oscillating closure to the east of the ZUP.
The constructive system of concrete refends is taken over in facades by a process of prefabricated panels inherited from a model already developed by the company SOMATRA. The facades are gravel washed on the floors and turned into pebbles on the ground floor.
Good general condition. Rehabilitation in 1982 and 1986.
© Thierry Durousseau, 2004-2005