If the investigations on architecture of the second twentieth century are now about ten years old, this heritage remains largely less recognized by the edility and the public, hence the interest of the censuses and monographs proposed here. Logically, after the census phase, which delimited the corpus of ensembles and residencies in Marseilles in its extension, the aim was to reduce their contours in order to develop a greater understanding, formalized by the monograph sheets. By definition, they reflect only one object of the corpus, but all the monographs thus constitute a collection covering a series of similar objects allowing the construction of typologies, classifications and comparisons.
1.1328 - La Brunette II
Malpassé, northeast of the city, 13th arrondissement
Literature references: 20th century heritage, domestic architecture
X edition directory no. 1328, p 34. 2005
Conception & writing T. Durousseau arch. 2007
designation: La Brunette Residence
55 avenue de la Rose, Malpassé district 13013
Lambert 3: latitude 3.08274; longitude 43.3263
Access: metro 1: La Rose - La Timone
bus 7: Malpassé - La Batarelle , bus 41: Cinq avenue - La Rose
Owner: Syndicat des Copropriétaires de La Brunette. 55 avenue de la Rose, 04 91 06 71 43
program: Project of 168 dwellings, type LOGECO.
Client, Société Civile Immobilière La Brunette,
Set of 4 buildings, activities, shops and garages, daycare, multipurpose room, indoor garden, tennis court.
dates, authors: Building Permits: 1964. Declaration of Completion: 1968.
Jean Crozet, architect.
Consulting engineer, Max Laupies.
site: On the west bank of Jarret, between the villages of Malpassé and La Rose. Between the stadium and the bed of Huveaune. Altitude between 34.43 and 39.35 m. Land 2.06 ha. Residential area discontinuous E on the Master Town Planning Plan of 1949.
mass plane: Open urban island, form of several buildings, clinging to the neighbouring operation, and taking up the traces of the old garden of the eponymous bastide. The variety of the program is exceptional for the period. Spreading: constant height, 10 floors on cellars.
frame: Reinforced concrete frame consisting of four rows of posts, supporting the floors. Facades in various filler panels depending on the level of withdrawal compared to balconies. Fairly continuous balconies. Very good general condition.
sources: AD: 2071 W 23 (67.830), 165 W 348
The Triangle Saint-Jérôme, La Rose, Saint-Just on a south-east slant on the bank of the Jarret, is until the beginning of the 19th century a place of villegiature with many bastides: Château Vento, La Rose, La Valdonne. They will gradually give way to the mills so the owner of the land of La Brunette happens to be a miller. The program we describe here follows, on the same property, a first tranche of 200 units designed by the same architect: the Parc des Roses. Financed in Economic and Family Housing (LOGECO) initiated by P. Courant in 1953 as part of a law aimed at both promoting the land market, developing the popular access to property and normalizing housing. Brunette, the second instalment, will also be funded in LOGECO, the program authorization must date from 1963, the last year for this funding without resource cap. Looking at the two programs, it is possible to measure, in less than ten years, the evolution of home ownership, both in terms of program, benefits and architecture. In terms of the program, the operation is exceptional, with 168 housing units being added to a child care centre, a multi-purpose room, a medical centre and, on La Rose Avenue, a supermarket with a brewery, pharmacy, bakery and tobacco office. Equipment, including commercial equipment, developed in the north-east of the city, which became heavily densified after the arrival of the returnees in 1962.
The plan of mass aggregates to the first slice, resuming the alignment of the tree path of the bastide centered on a basin. This direction seems to be the one that leads to the village of Saint-Jérôme. This environment gives a plan in islet forming a U open north-east and leaning on the north-south diagonal of the tree path that joins the avenue de la Rose. Three buildings of about ten floors line the heart of an island converted into a wooded square, where some beautiful subjects have been preserved. The three buildings are joined by external galleries and covered passages under buildings, drawing a sort of ambulatory that adds to the peace of the garden. Further south, on the edge of Avenue de la Rose, is the supermarket built into the slope (about ten meters between Avenue de Valdonne and Avenue de la Rose) providing a rooftop parking lot. The car parks of the houses are accessible from the low point, and develop under and between the buildings.
Nowhere do the garage slabs appear: here it is a tennis court, there a multipurpose room, elsewhere it is the floor of the gallery. The gallery is itself very worked with a roof whose banks draw the folds of the slopes of recovery of rainwater which gives it a line of undulating sky. Finally, floating above the central garden, alongside the ambulatory and taking the direction of the alley, equipment on stilts, which must have been the daycare today serves as a caretaker’s accommodation.
In this open urban area, apartment buildings are not left out. It is far from the bars arranging the 3 and 4 rooms of the first slice, the buildings have a distribution on the model of the tower, with six apartments per floor and a thickness of 16.00 m. Only, the 2 rooms are mono-oriented, the other apartments are located at the corners, enjoying two exhibitions. The top floor hosts some apartments with terrace. The structure consists of four rows of 0.20 x 0.72 m posts every 3.00 m.
Finally, the elevations have this particularity that one does not read the internal distribution: the bay of rooms are condensed on a gable or on a panel of facade per group of four or five and distributed in quinconce on the wall. The dryers in front of the cellars and kitchens, have grids that repeat that of the gardecorps creating still a blur in the reading of the levels.
Thus the facades, through these different textures, give a non-domestic reading of each building.
born on March 19, 1909 in Marseilles, enrolled in the order in 1941.
1952, school, boulevard Chave, Le Camas,
1959-62, apartment building, Sainte-Marguerite, 121 chemin de Saint-Tronc with A. Labbe and A. Promeyrat,
1954, apartment building, Le Grand, Saint-Giniez,
1956-58, apartment building, Le Belvédère, boulevard de la Glacière, Plombière, with Mr. David,
1957-63, apartment building, Guibal Street with Mr. David,
1957, real estate project, rue de Rome, with M. David,
1958-65, apartment building, Cité du Grand Vallat, Meyrargues (Bouches-du-Rhône),
1960-64, real estate development, La Brunette, La Rose,
1960-64, real estate development, rue Papety, Charras,
1962, apartment building, avenue Delattre de Tassigny,
1962, Real Estate project, chemin des Chutes Lavie,
1962, real estate development, 24 avenue de la petite Suisse,
1963, apartment building, Beausite crossing,
1963, real estate project Le Vauban, Port Saint-Louis (Bouches-du-Rhône),
1963-64, apartment building, Port-Saint-Louis (Bouches-du-Rhône),
1963-64, apartment building, Gouffé Lodi Courthouse,
1963-64, real estate project, boulevard C. Flammarion, Les résidences du Jardin,
1963, real estate complex, Malpassé,
1963-64, apartment building, Saint-Julien,
1964, apartment building, boulevard des Chutes Lavie,
1964, real estate project, Château Gombert,
1964, apartment building, Menpenti.
© Thierry Durousseau, 2004-2005