Marseille - Parc Borély
Parc Borély - Marseille - Bouches-du-Rhône Property of the municipality
Open all year from 6am to 9pm. Free visit. For guided tours, contact the Tourist Office (04 91 13 89 00). Guided tour of the botanical garden by the direction of parks and gardens.
Avenue du Prado - 13008 Marseille
To the south of the city, close to the sea, the largest park in Marseille accompanies a castle built from 1768 to 1778 by architects Brun, Peyre and Clérisseau for a rich merchant, Louis Borély. Built in the 18th and 19th centuries, the park has six successive landscapers: Embry (classical garden in 1770), Paré (English park in 1859), Alphand and Barillet-Deschamps (main authors of the present park in 1862), the Bülher brothers (first botanical garden in 1880). Two large parts are juxtaposed: to the west the French garden, great perspective focused on the castle, to the east the English park whose paths meander around a lake. From this park we access the botanical garden whose greenhouse presents the tropical flora.