Avignon - Synagogue
The synagogue of Avignon is located on the site of the old synagogue of the eighteenth century which had burned down completely.
The neo-classical building, built in 1846 by the architect Joffroy, is original in its centered plan. Two stacked colonnades support the grandstand and a dome with a central oculus.
Its liturgical furniture, designed and executed at the same time as the building is characterized by a circular platform in the centre, wooden stalls all around and the tabernacle housing the Torah scrolls. This centered arrangement is rare in the typology of synagogues.
protection: (cad. DK 736), classification by order of 21 August 1990