Tarascon - Tour Saint-Gabriel
The stony inscriptions
In the westernmost piedmont of the Alpilles, the site of Saint-Gabriel, called Ernaginum in Roman times, dominates a crossroads of communication towards Avignon, Arles and Aix.
The remains of two defensive towers located a few hundred meters from the Romanesque chapel, testify to the importance of the place as an outpost of Tarascon in the 14th century.
The inscription of a date in Hebrew at the base of one of the towers attests to the Jewish presence in this area.
protection: (cad. E01 39), list ranking 1840