As part of the democratization of access to culture, which is the foundation of the Department, the DRAC’s mission is focused on priority audiences:
- young people during and outside school time;
- the most remote from culture (inhabitants of deprived neighbourhoods in the city or in rural areas) or «prevented» (persons under the control of the courts, hospitalized persons, persons with disabilities)
In addition to supporting cultural and artistic structures in their production or dissemination activities, the DRAC’s public policy pursues the following objectives:
- develop Arts and Cultural Education
- rebalancing and facilitating access to cultural offerings throughout Ile-de-France
- to promote artistic and cultural practice for audiences furthest removed from culture and for audiences "prevented"
It is aimed at all the areas of competence of the DRAC, both heritage and creative.
Each set-up is built on a partnership or tripartite basis involving the DRAC, an artist through a cultural structure, and another entity (local authorities, rectors, regional directorate of the Ministry of Justice, regional health agency, EMI, ESAT, etc.). The DRAC grants are flagged on an aid to the remuneration of artists.
The role of the service dedicated to this policy, the Service of Development and Territorial Action (SDAT) is to advise cultural structures, to orient them, to put in relation the different partners, to evaluate the projects and to ensure the monitoring and evaluation of the partnerships and actions put in place.
For the vast majority of schemes, annual calls for projects are posted on the DRAC website.
The eligibility criteria common to each of these schemes are:
- To propose to the public an initiation to an artistic and cultural practice
- Provide mediation on an artistic field in order to contribute to the construction of an aesthetic judgment by the public
- Encourage the discovery and use of places of artistic creation and dissemination
Devices implemented by DRAC and monitored by SDAT :
- Optional courses
- Student Artist Residencies
- Local Arts Education Contract