Book and Reading
Within the Cultural Industries and Cultural Democratization (Dic) Cluster of the DRAC, the Book and Reading Advisors implement the policy defined by the Ministry of Culture on the development of public reading, support for the book economy and encouragement for the creation and literary life, preservation and enhancement of the written heritage. They intervene in connection with the National Book Centre (CNL), a public institution whose action in favour of literary creation is complementary to that of the Ministry.
The intervention of the DRAC, in the field of books and reading, concerns the whole chain of books: authors, publishing houses, bookshops, libraries, literary structures, associations for the development of reading and writing and the fight against illiteracy, as well as events promoting the book.
Areas of intervention
Bilibrary and public reading
- support municipalities, municipalities and departments in their plans for the construction, modernisation, fitting-out and computer or digital equipment of libraries, extension of opening hours;
- structuring the territory and promoting the development of cooperation between the book and reading stakeholders (reading territories contracts...);
- encouraging the development of reading and writing.
Read more Development of public reading
Sconomy of the book
- aid to publishing houses and bookshops;
- reference bookshops or independent reference bookshops;
- supporting book promotion events;
- finding of infringements of the laws on the single price of books.
Read more Support for the book economy
- aid for literary creation, in particular through the residencies of authors.
Read more Support for literary life
Fortraining and information for book professionals
- support for regional structures in the book sector;
- training of librarians, booksellers...
Read more Training of book professionals
The Night of Reading
The Spring of Poets
French Language and Francophonie Week and "Dis-moi dix mots"
Going to book (the great feast of books for youth)