The Hotel de Blossac
Blossac Hotel The whole Blossac Hotel is the result of the combination of two units from different eras: one built for the Loaisel de Brie family in 1624, of which only the main building remains on the street, the other built between 1728 and 1730 for Louis de La Bourdonnaye de Blossac, Speaker of the Parliament of Brittany. The author of the project, probably the king’s architect, Jacques Gabriel, knew how to use the irregular shape of the plot to make an original use of it with two juxtaposed facades, one on courtyard and the other on garden.
Presentation brochure of the Hôtel de Blossac and the DRAC Bretagne:
- 1727 Purchase by the family of La Bourdonnaye de Blossac of the former hotel of Brie whose commons burned down in the 1720 fire.
- 1728 Construction of a new hotel. The peristyle of the staircase is cited as early as 1730 by Jacques Gabriel, as a model for the vestibule of the City Hall of Rennes
- 1732-1789 Rental of the hotel as residence for the military commander of Brittany, representing the king. Addition of shared wood in the yards and garden.
During the Revolution, the hotel was divided into several apartments. Throughout the 19th century and until 1957 the hotel remained the residence of the La Bourdonnaye family and several tenants.
- 1808 Project of installation of the Prefecture at the hotel of Blossac.
- 1830 Creation of a new vestibule and a staircase in the front body on garden. Renovation of the decorations of the first floor.
- 1860 Development of new stables in the communes to the east of the courtyard. Dismantling of the gate between courtyard and garden, partly filled on the rue de Montfort. The pediment of the forebody on garden is replaced by three dormers.
The Ministry of Culture and the Blossac hotel
After classification of the hotel in 1947 under the title of Historical Monuments, the first works of consolidation of the floors and the frame were aimed at making the premises usable. Following the acquisition in 1982 by the State, major restoration work has made it possible to restore its former lustre to this jewel of 18th century civil architecture.
- 1948 Rental of part of the 1st floor by the Agence des Bâtiments de France
- 1957 Installation of the Regional Conservation of Historical Monuments
- 1977 Creation of the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs of Brittany which installs its various services at the hotel of Blossac
- 1982 Acquisition of the entire building by the Crown
- 1986 Restoration of structures, roofs and stable wing
- 1988-89 Restoration of the main gate and staircase
- 1989-91 Renovation of facades and restoration of sculpted motifs and renovation of the garden
- 1990-93 Restoration of the facades of the Brie hotel