The Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs (DRAC) of the Pays-de-la-Loire
The Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs of the Pays-de-la-Loire (DRAC) is a decentralised department under the Ministry of Culture. It is placed under the authority of the regional prefect and, for the missions under their competence, under the functional authority of the department prefects.
The Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs is responsible for conducting the State’s cultural policy in the region and its departments, in particular in the following areas:
- knowledge, protection, conservation and enhancement of the assets;
- of the promotion of thearchitecture ;
- of support for the creation and to the artistic diffusion in all their components;
- of the development of the book and of the reading ;
- of thearts and cultural education and of the knowledge transfer ;
- of the promotion of the cultural diversity and l'Expanding audiences ;
- the development of the culture economy and cultural industries ;
- of the promotion of the french language and of languages of France.
It shall ensure the application of the rules and carry out scientific and technical checks in the above areas in liaison with the other competent departments of the Ministry responsible for culture.
It participates in spatial planning, sustainable development and social cohesion policies, and in the evaluation of public policies. It contributes to the dissemination of public data on culture in the region and its departments.
It shall contribute to scientific research in matters within its competence.
It ensures the conduct of State actions, develops cooperation with local and regional authorities to whom it can provide, as necessary, technical support.
In each region, the regional direction of cultural affairs includes a headquarters and territorial units: the Departmental Units of Architecture and Heritage (UDAP).
The Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs of the Pays-de-la-Loire, headed by the Regional Director, Marc Le Bourhis, assisted by an Assistant Director, Patrice DUCHER and a Secretary General, Janique Morinière, is constituted, for the entire regional territory, the following structures:
- The management;
- The General Secretariat;
- The steering support mission;
- The "heritage, architecture and protected spaces" cluster, bringing together business services (archaeology; historical monuments; museums; service "landscape, architecture and sustainable development")
- The cluster "creation, cultural industries and cultural and territorial action", bringing together business services (territories and public; music & dance; theatre, circus, street arts; books & reading; cinema, audiovisual and multimedia; visual arts)
- UDAP: There are five Departmental Units for Architecture and Heritage (UDAP) that constitute the territorial units of the DRAC in each of the departments of the Pays-de-la Loire region: Loire-Atlantique (44), Maine-et-Loire (49), Mayenne (53), Sarthe (72) and Vendée (85). Beyond the implementation of policies in favour of architecture and heritage, the UDAP are invested with a territorial monitoring mission in the territory of the department.
List of Regional Directors of Cultural Affairs:
- André Leboeuf (Conservation régionale des Bâtiments de France, 1969-1972)
- Yves Renaudin (1973-1977)
- Jacques Manoury (1977-1980)
- Jean Dumas (1981-1985)
- Rémi Caron (1985-1988)
- Jean-Claude Groussard (1988-1993)
- Michel Fontès (1993-1998)
- Michel Clément (1998-2001)
- Jean-Paul Jacob (2001-2006)
- Marion Julien (2006-2009)
- Georges Poull ( 2009-2012)
- Louis Bergès (2013-2016)
- Nicole Phoyu-Yedid (2017-2019)
- Marc le Bourhis (March 9, 2020 - ongoing)