Early Childhood Culture
In accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding for the Artistic and Cultural Awakening of Young Children signed on 20 March 2017 between the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Families, Children and Women’s Rights, the DRAC Hauts de France wishes to engage in a proactive approach by developing an “early childhood” component within the arts and cultural education policy.
Scientific studies and initiatives implemented in the territories attest that awareness of cultural and artistic practices, from an early age and even before entering kindergarten, promotes curiosity, the construction and development of the child. Art and culture allow children to build their sensitivity, their imagination, their personal expression and their relationship to the world. The encounter with cultural heritage, language, contemporary creation and artistic experience contribute to the development of the child’s identity and autonomy. Artistic and cultural awakening helps to guarantee everyone access to culture and sensitive experiences and is one of the priorities of the Ministry of Culture.
The intervention of the DRAC is divided into three axes:
- enable very young children and their families to access quality artistic practices
- promoting the establishment of residencies for territorial artists, allowing artistic awakening and access to cultural resources from an early age.
- by supporting innovative and exemplary projects from an artistic point of view as well as territorial and partnership commitment.
- develop the dissemination of a specific artistic offer in the places of reception of the young child.
- contribute to the development of a structuring information and training offer for early childhood professionals, artistic and cultural professionals, elected officials, particularly in the context of the implementation of the training plan for early childhood professionals (language and artistic awakening and culture).
For more information about this policy, please contact:
Alice Gradel, interdepartmental affairs advisor, early childhood advisor :
Laetitia Prévost, manager, in charge of administrative and financial monitoring :