Following the opinion in favour of protection given by the Commission régionale du patrimoine et de l'architecture (CRPA) meeting on June 24, 2021, Hilaire Multon, Regional Director of Cultural Affairs Hauts-de-France, signed by Georges-de-France delegationFrançois Leclerc, Prefect of the Hauts-de-France region, Prefect of the North, the order for the inscription of the following monument under the title of Historic Monuments, considering that it has sufficient historical or/and art interest to make its preservation desirable:

Department of Pas-de-Calais: CALAIS – Holy Germaine Church

The construction of the church of Sainte-Germaine was a long work, full of pitfalls and uncertainties. It was born out of the will of two men: Monsignor Lobbedey and Abbot Constant Hanse who wanted to open a new place of worship in a remote area of Calais, in connection with the industrial activity of artificial silk. A subscription was launched in 1918 and the first stone laid on July 29, 1928. It is the work of the architect Julien Barbier (1869-1940). Faced with construction problems (marshy soils), its construction lasted a long time and ended in 1986 with the construction of the belfry by the diocesan architect Mr Twitchett and the Payeux company in Arras. Inside, the church has vast open spaces evoking the inspiration of early Christian basilicas. Its interior is quite clean, however, presenting a unity in its decoration and a very homogeneous program of stained glass windows. The latter, works by Louis Barillet, Théo Hanssen and Jacques Le Chevallier circa 1934, are protected as historical monuments by order of 03 February 1997. The movable objects (baptismal font, Way of the Cross) are of good quality and fit perfectly into the building.

Inscription under the title of historical monuments, in full, by order of 13 October 2021.

The protection procedure:
The request for protection under the Historical Monuments of a monument is made by any person having an interest in it (owner, association, etc.). The protection of buildings, motivated by an interest in art and/or history, takes place after consulting the CRPA and takes effect after signing the orders by the regional prefect. The buildings listed under the title of historical monuments are the subject of special provisions for their conservation so that all maintenance work, repair, restoration or modification may be carried out while maintaining the interest which justified their protection. Protected monuments are monitored by the Regional Conservation of Historic Monuments (DRAC)