The Directorate General for Cultural Affairs (DRAC) of Corsica
The Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs (DRAC) in Corsica is the decentralized department of the Ministry of Culture.
- It was created by the merger of the Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs on the one hand and the Department of Architecture and Heritage on the other.
- It is placed under the authority of the regional prefect for the missions under its jurisdiction.
- The Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs is organized around two main areas (Policy and Territorial Actions and Heritage and Architecture).
Under the authority of the Prefect of Corsica, Prefect of South Corsica, the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs is responsible for:
- It organises the accompaniment by the State, in consultation with the territorial collectivity of Corsica, of actions which, by their interest or their dimension, fall under the national cultural policy
- It ensures the implementation or accompanying of these actions or it is responsible, by convention, for the territorial collectivity of Corsica
- It implements the regulations and the scientific and technical control in the fields of culture, when a legislative or regulatory provision gives this competence to the Prefect of Corsica, Prefect of South Corsica
- It coordinates actions relating to the application of regulations in the fields of culture
- It conducts the studies and defines the actions that the State intends to carry out for the conservation and enhancement of the historical monuments belonging to it
- It presents to the council of the sites of Corsica, in its so-called formation of the heritage, the proposals falling within its competence; it appraises in particular the proposals for protection under Book VI of the Code of the Patrimony referred to the State and which are subject to this training for opinion
- It appraises applications for authorization of works or opinions on works relating to monuments classified or inscribed in accordance with Book VI of the Heritage Code
- It collects the elements necessary for the establishment of the national archaeological map that the territorial collectivity of Corsica provides to the State
- It organises the consultation by the State of the territorial collectivity of Corsica on the programme of excavations carried out in Corsica under the conditions defined by Book V of the Heritage Code
- It prescribes measures for the detection, conservation or safeguarding by scientific study of the archaeological heritage, designates the scientific manager of any preventive archaeology operation and ensures the missions of control and evaluation of these operations
- It contributes to the dissemination of public data on culture in Corsica
- It contributes to the evaluation of public policies in the cultural field
- It shall develop cooperation with the local authority of Corsica or its public institutions in the cultural field, particularly in the field of equipment, preservation and enhancement of heritage, training, artistic creation and dissemination; it can provide technical support.
- Under the functional authority of the prefects of department, the regional direction of cultural affairs participates in the application of the legislation relating to registered and classified sites and ensures the application of the legislation of outdoor advertising and signs, in collaboration with the Regional Directorate for Environment, Planning and Housing and, where appropriate, with the Departmental Directorate for Territory.
The Prefect of Corsica, Prefect of South Corsica, may be represented before the Regional Council of the Order of Architects by the Regional Director of Cultural Affairs. The latter may be represented.