To support incubators and press companies wishing to create or develop incubation programmes dedicated to "start-ups" (emerging media and media solution providers), the Ministry of Culture grants them a grant to implement these programs.
Presentation of the device
What is support for press and media incubation programmes?
As part of the reform of press subsidies and in order to encourage innovation in the press sector, the Support Fund for Emergence and Innovation in the Press, created by the Decree no. 2016-1161 of 26 August 2016, launches a call for projects. The purpose of this call is to the creation or development of incubation programmes for young news media or their solution providers.
An incubation programme is defined as an accompanying programme which, by providing enterprises with the skills and tools necessary for their good start-up and development, aims to make their project structured and viable.
In addition, links with research, teaching (journalism, computer development, graphic design, business, etc.), existing international groups and local public or private actors will be enhanced.
For more information, we invite you to consult the specifications below:
Objectives of the approach
The objective is to set up sustainable innovation clusters dedicated to "start-ups" (suppliers of solutions dedicated to media and/or emerging media). Incubation programmes are designed to:
- Streamline collaborations between press companies and “start-ups” or streamline collaborations between publishers and suppliers of dedicated solutions;
- Break the isolation of the entrepreneur by allowing him to exchange daily with his peers;
- Facilitate the launch of collective projects;
- Provide emerging companies with shared administrative, legal, social, financial and accounting services;
- Give them access to acceleration programmes, thematic workshops, networks of experts and tutors;
- Strengthen the attractiveness of press entrepreneurship, and more broadly of the media, which implies the promotion of a dynamic environment.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
The following groups are eligible for this scheme:
- Incubators wishing to develop incubation programs dedicated to emerging media and media solution providers;
- Press companies wishing to create or develop incubation programmes dedicated to "start-ups" (providers of solutions dedicated to emerging media and/or media).
Only press companies whose projects are eligible for the Strategic Press Development Fund can benefit from support for the incubation programmes of press companies.
Will be valued the ability of candidates to attract in all their diversity of solution providers (technological, graphic, commercial...) dedicated to emerging media and/or emerging media (press titles, online press services, radio, television, webradios, webTVs...).
The innovation dimension of solution providers and incubated media will also be taken into account.
Projects meeting all of the following criteria are eligible for support to incubation programmes:
- Be run by an incubator or a press company wishing to create or having already created an incubation programme dedicated to the press and news media;
- Host the creation and development of specialized technical or editorial providers for the needs of media or publications, online press services and other media (press titles, online press services, radio, television, webradios, webtelevisions, etc.);
- Use all the following tools: accommodation, advice, training. Each of these elements will be examined in depth with regard to the intensity and variety of the means used.
Support for incubation programmes is an operating subsidy covering in particular the costs of accommodation, support, advice, training and organisation of thematic activities.
The grant is calculated on the basis of the costs presented over the first two years of the project. The maximum rate of aid shall be 50 % of eligible expenditure.
The subsidy is paid in two instalments:
- the first instalment shall be paid after an agreement has been concluded between the State and the beneficiary laying down in particular the arrangements for the payment of the subsidy;
- the payment of the second instalment (balance) is conditional on a favourable decision by the Director General of Media and Cultural Industries, based on evidence of the project’s completion and the conformity of its characteristics with those covered by the award decision (number and nature of companies incubated, duration and number of training courses provided, etc.).
To validate its request for balance, the beneficiary undertakes to provide a detailed quantitative and qualitative assessment of the program it has implemented and allowing its evaluation.
The applicant must detail the actions implemented in order to sustain the incubation programme beyond the two years covered by the aid payment.
The aid granted is granted in compliance with the framework scheme SA.58995 on aid for research, development and innovation (RDI) for the period 2014-2023.
The Directorate-General for Media and Cultural Industries may initiate checks on the accuracy of the information supplied.
Up to four years after the completion of the project, the Recipient undertakes to retain all documents justifying the implementation of the programme and to communicate them to the Directorate-General for Media and Cultural Industries, upon request.
The projects submitted will be examined by the innovators' club (a group responsible for issuing an opinion on the allocation of aid from the fund to support the emergence and innovation in the press). The Director-General for Media and Cultural Industries shall award the aid after the opinion of the Innovators' Club.
Where the company has already received support for incubation programmes in a previous call for projects, special attention will be paid to achieving the objectives set when the first aid was granted.
- Opening of the deposit of files: 10 March 2023
- Deadline for submission: 19 May 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- Announcement of results: Users will receive a notification of acceptance or refusal by e-mail.
- Download and complete the form that corresponds to your situation (below).
- Click on the "Send my file" button at the bottom of the page. This will allow you to send it by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of projects previously supported
Maison des équipes de l'association Arty Farty, Hôtel71 is since 2020 a place of transmission and support of cultural projects and media.
Launched in 2018 with the support of the Ministry of Culture, the Médiastart program has supported 54 emerging media project promoters since its creation, divided into four promotions. The programme is aimed at journalists, content creators, professionals from the world of publishing and media, entrepreneurs who want to embark on an entrepreneurial adventure.
Positioned as an acceleration program directly linked to the publisher’s activities, Théophraste has supported 22 projects since its launch in 2017.
The EBRA Group’s startup accelerator project, with its promise to create synergies between startups and the regional press, enabled DGMIC to support a first incubation programme in the Grand-Est region.
If you have any questions about support for media and press incubation programs, please contact the Media and Cultural Industries Branch (CMIB):
Office for the Economic Regime of the Press
Media Emergence and Innovation Support Fund
01 40 15 78 89
182 Rue Saint-Honoré 75001 Paris