Since 2008, the companionship scheme has aimed to promote transmission and professional integration within theatre companies, puppets, circus and street arts. This assistance from the Ministry of Culture allows a young director or author to collaborate with artistic teams.
Presentation of the device
What is companionship assistance?
Companionship is a device allowing a (e) director (e) in stage beginner (e) or author (e) to benefit from a process of accompaniment within a company. In this context, the authors are led to write an original work and the directors to present a model
The collaboration between the companion and the artistic team is organized around sequences of exchanges, work and presentation to the public.
The elaboration of a calendar detailing these working, exchange and porosity times must thus be the pivotal element of any search for an inscription in the companion system.
This system has a primary interest in terms of professionalization of artistic teams, or even support for emergence. It cannot be assimilated to a production aid, or a text order, even if it integrates these purposes. Companionship intended to encourage new cooperation as a priorityhe/she cannot be a regular employee of the company.
Trans-regional exchanges should be sought, in particular towards the overseas regions.
The device includes two types of aids: Compagnonnage Plateau and Compagnonnage Auteur(s).
Objectives of the approach
The Compagnonnage Plateau aims to promote the transmission and professional integration between a confirmed artistic team and a companion (ne), director (e) in stage beginner (e). It allows artists to be accompanied at the beginning of their professional career or to take a step forward during it, thanks to a privileged collaboration with companies that are approved by the State (theatre, puppets, circus and street arts, etc.).
The companions will thus have the opportunity to concretely understand all aspects of the profession and to design and produce shows, in a spirit of transmission, sharing of experience and know-how.
The «weaving» of the partnerships thus realized must ultimately allow a successful territorial implantation and promote access to the project’s assistance, especially for young teams.
The Compagnonnage Auteur(s) encourages artistic teams and contemporary authors to work together and to share exchange times during the process of writing and adapting the text to the stage.
This device aims to support the collaboration between one (or some) author (s) outside the company and the team itself. It differs from a production aid in that it must allow the financing of the writing commission to the author, but also significant exchange times with the company for its adaptation to the set.
This collaboration must necessarily include the commission of a new work (excluding adaptation) to one or more authors, a phase of exchanges with the artistic team, and the participation of the author(s) on set and presented to the public.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
The host companies, which carry the demand, must be agreed by the State under theDeconcentrated aids to live performance (ADSV) (3 or 4 years) and have spaces (own or made available) and adapted means of work.
On the proposal of the DRAC concerned, will also be eligible companies not under contract, but proposing a project led by an artist or a confirmed team provided that:
- they work in the field of the arts of gesture, mime and storytelling
- and/or that they are located in the overseas departments.
The accompanied artist must have an artistic activity identified independently of the host company, without necessarily being structured in company.
Preference will be given to:
- Requests for companionship allowing theaccess to production/dramaturgy assistantship, and comprising a reciprocal commitment and a tool sharingartistic, technical or administrative, from the conception of a show to its realization. On the one hand the artist «welcomed» (and his artistic team) collaborates in the implementation of an artistic project or a production of the «welcoming» company, on the other, and in return, the latter gives the «companion» the means to experiment his own creation, distinct from the artistic project of the host company and taking the form of a show «model».
- The requests gathering of recent artists from the network of high schools of drama under the authority of the Ministry of Culture or those that retraining process.
The companionship must include the development of a model that is the subject of a professional presentation. This model, conceived above all as a sketch, a research and experimentation work not directly related to a production project, is an important element of the final evaluation produced by the company contracted beneficiary of the aid.
The welcoming company and bearer of the request must be approved OR have benefited from a project support in the three years preceding the application. As part of the companionship, it must:
- commit to placing an order for an original work, in French
- associate his (her) author(s) with the process of editing it, the confrontation of the text on the stage and its presentation to the public
- undertake to remunerate the author(s) for an amount fixed by mutual agreement but which may not be less than €7,000, and in accordance with a work programme and a provisional budget presented when the application is submitted. This amount must cover the copyright and the remuneration of the author’s participation in the set. Other expenses (expenses, salary related to actions directed at the public) cannot be charged to this item.
Collaboration with the author(s) may take variable forms, which must be specified, and include at least public readings of the «commissioned» work.
Can be accompanied as part of the device:
- dramatic authors whose at least one work has been published (not at the expense of an author) or has been the subject of public performances under professional conditions
- or writers of a certain level of notoriety (and already published not by author) who would like to engage in theatrical writing
- or young authors not yet published or played, but identified by the commission of aid to the creation of dramatic texts of Artcena (beneficiaries of the aid of encouragement) or having already benefited from an aid of the association Beaumarchais (SACD) or the National Center of the Book (CNL).
Beyond the production that can be made by the company, the text will have its own existence and can be staged by other teams.
An author can only be presented each year for a single project and must respect a period of three years before being able to benefit from this scheme. He may not benefit more than twice from this device.
Welcoming companies or authors who have already benefited from the scheme must have submitted the balance sheet of this previous aid. Otherwise, their new application will not be considered.
The same team can only submit one request for assistance per calendar year. Companies that have benefited from Compagnonnage Plateau are again eligible for a new compagnonnage only two years after the filing of the previously selected file and only subject to receipt of the balance sheet of the latter.
A «companion» can only benefit from this device once.
Artists directing places labeled by the State (CDN, PNC, CNAREP, CNMa) and production offices are not eligible for this scheme.
The author must be distinct from the director and cannot be a regular collaborator of the company.
An author will only be able to participate each year in a single request for companionship and must respect a period of three years before being able to benefit again from this device. He may not benefit more than twice from this device.
Companies that have benefited from this scheme are only eligible again two years after the filing of the previously selected file.
This aid may not be combined with schemes of the same type (companionship, sponsorship or any other name) possibly proposed by the Regions, nor with aid granted in the context of residences or for any other action having the same object, or finally with the aid granted by the CNL or the Beaumarchais association (SACD).
Adaptation projects are excluded from this scheme and the text must not have been written before the filing of the application.
The duration of the fellowship will vary depending on the nature of the project. In order to favor a collaboration over a long time, it can however not be less than a year or a season. Unless otherwise stated, it shall not exceed 18 months.
The eligible expenses will be on the salary of the artist accompanied for his assistance in staging, those devoted to the development of the model and the costs correlated to the collaboration (type of expenses, transport in case of interregional companionship).
Half of the sum paid must be allocated to the remuneration of a working time performed by the artist hosted within the company.
The eligible expenses will cover the text order, the remuneration of the author’s working time (rehearsals, interventions/workshops with audiences, etc.) and the costs related to the collaboration (type of payment, transport in case of interregional companionship).
Assistance to the host company will be assessed based on the project and limited to 25,000 euros.
Assistance to the host company will be assessed based on the project and limited to 15,000 euros.
At the end of the investigation process, the grants are awarded in a single payment by the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs on which the headquarters of the host company depends. They are either the subject of an order or an amendment to the multiannual agreement if the company is contracted.
The files are reviewed by all theatre advisors in DRAC, representatives of the delegation to the theatre and inspectors of the Directorate General for Artistic Creation DGCA. Each application is reviewed by at least four different people and then compared to the others at a meeting at DGCA.
- File Opening: December 29, 2022
- Application deadline: 1 March 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No application may be filed or considered after that date.
- File review: sometime in April 2023
- Notification of decisions: sometime in May 2023
For assisted projects, at the end of the mentoring, must be sent to the DRAC advisor concerned and to the DGCA:
- an end of companionship assessment drawn up and co-signed by the company manager and the artist or author accompanied. Written in a free format, it may reveal successes as limits or difficulties encountered in the framework of this companionship.
- For author companionship, a copy of the work that was ordered in electronic format.
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let us guide you.
If you have any questions about support for companionship of authors or boards, please contact:
Directorate-General for Artistic Creation (DGCA)
Delegation to the Theatre and Associated Arts
01 40 15 88 35
62, rue Beaubourg, 75003 Paris
or the deconcentrated service of the Ministry of Culture of the place where your project is carried out:
- Yoan Devun, Circus Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jérémie Villaume, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Stéphanie Lafforgue, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Céline Tissot, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Catherine Zimmermann, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valérie Buchert, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
Site de Châlons
- Amanda Mouellic, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Parjoie, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Marie Claude Nicolas, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jean-Michel Soloch, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: Jeanemail@example.com
- Christine Ricci, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peggy Rougeaux, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Sylviane Brullot, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barbara Lugez, Theatre Advisor (Lille site), public and young audience: email@example.com
- Mounia Boudiaf, Theatre Advisor (Amiens site), puppets and circus: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dominique Neffati, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Sylvain Archo, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camille Noblet, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Véronique Fricoteaux, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fanny Lopez, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Julien Delot, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joël Colleville, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Gwenaëlle Groussard, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Véronique Roger, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Marion Limeuil, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nathalie Blondel, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Nathalie Piat, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Evelyne Jeantet, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
The filing for the year 2023 is now closed.