The Ministry of Culture is in charge of organizing the process of designation of the future French city which will be, in 2028, European Capital of Culture.
Presentation of the device
The "European Capital of Culture" scheme, born in 1985, aims to make known the cultural richness of Europe across the continent. This arrangement makes it possible to designate, for a period of one year, a host city responsible for organising a programme of cultural events.
The Decision No. 445/2014/EU On 16 April 2014, the European Parliament and the Council set up a Union action in favour of the European Capitals of Culture for the years 2020 to 2033.
The expected benefits are:
- a strengthening of the international influence of the selected cities
- promoting the image of the city among citizens
- capacity building and visibility of their cultural sector
- promoting awareness and access to culture,
- the stimulation of cultural tourism
Am I concerned by this approach?
Any city located in France can be a candidate for the label of «European Capital of Culture 2028». The title is open to cities, which can associate their surrounding area.
Candidate cities must promote, through their candidacy, their cultural dynamism and heritage through the organization of exhibitions, festivals and other events. The programme proposed by each applicant city must have a strong European dimension which must be reflected in the selected themes and be reflected in the participation of artists and cultural operators from different countries. Cities must also ensure the long-term effects of programming on their cultural and social development.
31 December 2021 were published in the Official Journal of the French Republic (JORF) the decree and notice of competition specifying the organizational arrangements and the procedure for the designation of the future French city, European Capital of Culture in 2028.
The selection of the city that will be European Capital of Culture takes place in two stages.
The applications, collected by the Ministry of Culture, will be submitted to an independent European pre-selection jury10 experts nominated by the EU institutions and bodies following an open call for expressions of interest and 2 experts nominated by the Ministry of Culture.
The short list of cities selected to participate in the final selection is decided by the Minister responsible for Culture, in accordance with the report of the selection jury, which will be made public on the website of the Ministry responsible for Culture.
- Order in Council and Competition Notice Issued and Call for Nominations Open: December 2021
- Technical information meeting on the pre-selection and selection process of candidate cities, organized by the Ministry of Culture in Paris: 06 October 2022.
- Deadline for submission of applications: 2 January 2023, 17:00 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- Publication in the Official Journal of the Republic of theOrder of 7 February 2023 appointing the 12 members of the independent European competition jury
- Screening: week of February 27, 2023. The short list of candidate cities selected to participate in the final selection is decided by the Minister for Culture in accordance with the report of the independent European jury and announced on 3 March via press release.
- Selection of the city, future European Capital of Culture: December 2023
- Download the application form below.
- Once completed, send the application electronically (in PDF format) AND by mail, in English and French:
- by email to email@example.com
- AND in twelve hard copies in English and two other copies in French, sent by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt (as evidenced by the postmark), to:
Ministry of Culture (General Secretariat)
European Capital of Culture 2028
182 rue Saint-Honoré,
75001 Paris Cedex 01
...or deposited at the same address against receipt.
For questions on the scheme, interested cities are invited to contact:
- Ministry of Culture: firstname.lastname@example.org
- European Commission Directorate-General for Education, Youth and Sport: EAC-ECOC@ec.euro pa.eu
Information on the European Capital of Culture initiative can be found on the official website of the European Union.