The Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs of Nouvelle-Aquitaine is calling for applications to coordinate the "Collège au Cinéma" scheme in Gironde. This allows college students to expand their film culture as part of their school curriculum and allows institutions to receive financial support.
Presentation of the device
What is the "College at Cinema" device?
Since 1989, "Film College" has been a school image education system which is part of the policy of awareness-raising and artistic education of the young public conducted by the CNC (National Centre of Cinema and Animated Image), the Ministries of Culture and National Education and the Departmental Councils.
"Film College" is implemented in Gironde with the support of the DRAC (Direction régionale des affaires culturelles), the DSDEN (Direction des services départementaux de l'Éducation nationale) and the Gironde Departmental Council.
The Departmental Council of the Gironde deploys a policy in favour of cinema and education in the image which translates in particular by its accompaniment to the projects of education in the image ("College to cinema", other projects in colleges, cultural routes outside college, "Image smugglers", festival "Les Toiles citoyennes", COMETT platform…) and through its support to several associations involved in this field.
Each year in Gironde, the scheme involves more than 12,000 middle school students, 95 schools and 35 cinemas as well as the participation of many artists, professionals and local structures working for image education.
The coordination "Collège au cinéma" ensures compliance with the specifications of the system as well as the commitments set out in the document Ma Classe au cinéma:
Objectives of the approach
"Film College" is aimed at middle school students, both public and private. In this context, students discover cinematographic works during screenings specially organized for them in cinemas. Thanks to the pedagogical work of accompaniment conducted by the teachers and the cultural partners, they constitute the bases of a film culture.
Want to know more about arts and cultural education? Visit here:
Am I concerned by this approach?
The coordination of the system will be designated by the DRAC, in consultation with all the partners who are: the Departmental Council of the Gironde as well as the decentralized services of the Ministry in charge of National Education (Academic Delegation for Arts and Culture – Rectorate of Bordeaux, Departmental Department of Education of the Gironde). After this consultation, a consultation of the Centre national du cinéma et de l'image animée (CNC), the Pôle régional d'éducation aux images provided by Agence ALCA, the national association L'Archipel des Lucioles, as well as the various film professionals present in the territory will be made. Following these processes, coordination will be established.
The duration of coordination is not limited in time, subject to a positive annual evaluation at the end of each calendar year or to the withdrawal of the coordinating structure. The withdrawal must be served at least one year in advance so as not to interrupt the organization of the offer to the college students. It may be the subject of a multi annual agreement of objectives and means between the coordinating structure and all the partners.
Within the structure, a person will be appointed as a reference on this mission and will have to devote sufficient time to the proper functioning of the coordination of the Gironde system. It will work in close collaboration with the bridge professor provided by the DSDEN of Gironde. This time is estimated at a minimum of 0.5 FTEs with a peak in activity between September and November of each year.
Depending on the financial support of the Departmental Council and the DRAC, in close collaboration with the National Education Coordination, the coordination is responsible for the implementation of the system with the colleges:
- coordinating the system by setting up partnerships between schools and cinemas
- sensitise cinemas and schools to the mechanism and role of each of the partners
- communicate the programming, the list of rooms and institutions participating in the CNC and the national coordinating structure The Fireflies Archipelago
- organize the circulation of films in its territory and communicate a detailed circulation plan to distributors
- stimulate support and training actions in consultation with its partners
- prepare and facilitate steering committees
- participate in the annual evaluation of the system in its territory in consultation with the representatives of the Departmental Council of the Gironde, and the ministries responsible for National Education (DAAC – Rector of Bordeaux, DSDEN 33) and Culture (DRAC)
- write an annual review, fill in a questionnaire and send these elements to the TNC, the partner national coordination as well as the local steering committee and the DRAC
Beyond the implementation of the system, coordination also has the responsibility to:
- to stimulate mediation activities among the pupils and to advise the participating rooms for this purpose
- propose tools and action to raise awareness of the modalities of reception of classes within the cinemas
- encourage actions related to artistic and cultural practice
- reflect and initiate any development action deemed relevant to the enrichment of the device
- animate the network of teachers regularly enrolled in the scheme for their skills development and possible "relay" on institutions
- work to link "Film College" with other image education schemes conducted in the territory in and out of school time, attendance at festivals, and territorial policies of Arts and Cultural Education (Coteac, PEAC, etc.)
The capacity of the structure to ensure coordination at the departmental level (internal competences, integration into territorial networks, human and financial resources) will be examined as well as its knowledge of the networks of the cinema sector and national education.
The selection will be based on required and free writing documents (NOI, development project, BP, presentation of the structure, etc.). Interviews with candidates may also take place.
- Deadline for applications: 30 March 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- The selection of the successful candidate will be made in April 2023, in consultation with all the partners of the scheme for implementation from the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year.
- The file must be sent by email to Mr Yves LE PANNERER, Advisor for Cinema, Audiovisual and Digital at the DRAC Nouvelle Aquitaine.
- Attach the following documents to your shipment:
- a memorandum of intent
- A project to develop the system in Gironde
- an annual provisional budget for the project
- a presentation of the structure, activities and resources, but also a note specifying the competences of the person in charge of this file and the estimated working time he will devote to this mission (in FTE)
If you have any questions about "Collège au cinéma", please contact Yves LE PANNERER, Advisor for Cinema, Audiovisual and Digital at DRAC Nouvelle Aquitaine, by e-mail at: email@example.com