In 2023, the Albums des jeunes architectes et paysagistes (AJAP) Excellence Competition aims to promote the work of young architects and landscapers-designers but also holders of the State diploma of architect practicing in different professions of architecture. The work of the winners will be highlighted, notably through a travelling exhibition in France and abroad.
Presentation of the device
What is the AJAP contest?
Created in 1980, the contest Album des jeunes architectes et paysagistes (AJAP) is a Promotion scheme for young architects and landscape architects demonstrating professional skills and a commitment conducive to the development of their talent. It is organized every two years since 2001 by the Ministry of Culture (Direction générale des patrimoines et de l'architecture - DGPA) with the assistance of the Cité de l'architecture et du patrimoine and the support of the Institut français.
The competition rewards projects and works that stand out for their innovative strength and commitment, as well as those that open up new avenues for reflection on the architecture and landscape of tomorrow.
What’s new in the 2023 competition
For the first time, the AJAP competition is also open to holders of the State diploma of architect practicing in the private or public sector or self-entrepreneurs and developing personal and meaningful experiences.
This decision makes it possible to adapt the competition to the reality of young graduates in architecture, who are increasingly turning to practices other than mastery in their own name.
The winners, selected by a jury of professionals, will benefit for two years of a promotion campaign: travelling exhibition in France and abroad, publication, website, organization of meetings in France and Europe with the public and project owners, participation in trade fairs.
Since 2001, nearly 170 young agencies have been winners of the AJAP competition, many of which are now recognized.
To learn more about the Albums des jeunes architectes et paysagistes, visit here:
You can also consult the rules of the call for projects:
Objectives of the approach
The AJAP competition is a promotional mechanism designed to:
- facilitate access for young architects and landscape designers to commission architectural and landscape missions
- to make known in France and abroad young professionals selected for the quality of design and/or implementation of their projects, the relevance of their proposals, their capacity for innovation, the coherence of their approach, and their interest in contemporary architectural, landscape and/or urban issues
- highlight talented professionals who have opted for professions other than mastery of work and the many avenues open to young graduates of architecture
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
For all candidates
The contest is open to:
- Young architects and landscape designers without nationality requirement, under 37 years of age on 31 December 2023 (born on or after 1 January 1986)
- State degree holders of an architect working in the private or public sector or self contractors and developing personal and significant experiences of less than 37 years
- architectural or landscape companies or operating in liberal form
Candidates must meet one of three professional practice requirements:
- architects or architectural firms registered with the Ordre des Architectes: to have, in France, as a designer in his own name, at least one project carried out or in the process of being carried out
- State degree holders in private or public sector or self contractor architecture and developing personal and meaningful experiences
- landscapers-designers or landscape companies having, in France, as designers in their own name, at least one project carried out or being carried out
When the persons eligible for the competition are practising in a company, the company must not have been created for more than 10 years on 31 December 2023 (created from 1 January 2014).
Architects with full project management must be registered with the Order of Architects.
Architectural firms must:
- be registered with the Ordre des architectes
- were created after January 1, 2013
Holders of the State diploma in architecture working in the private or public sector or self-employment and developing personal and meaningful experiences must*:
- hold a State diploma in architecture or any other French diploma in architecture recognized by the French State
- practice in one of the following areas:
- graphic representation, model, digital model
- project management
- public or private project management assistance
- urban planning
- scenography, design, interior design
- cultural mediation, consultation
* Conditions laid down by the Articles 10 and 11 of Law No. 77-2 of 3 January 1977 as amended on architecture, the order of 10 April 2007 on the authorisation of the state-certified architect, the exercise of project management in its own name and by Annex VI of the Directive 2005/36/EC of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications.
Applicants of French nationality or nationals a Member State of the European Union (EU) or another Member State of the European Economic Area (EEA) must fulfil the following two conditions*:
- hold a diploma, awarded by a training institution (of a minimum duration of 5 years) approved under conditions laid down by regulation, which results in specific training of a cultural, scientific and technical nature in landscape design
- obtained permission to use the title of landscape designer (requested from the Minister responsible for landscape policy)
* Conditions set by Article 174 of Law No. 2016-1087 8 August 2016 for the reconquest of biodiversity, nature and landscapes, Order in Council 2017-673 of April 28, 2017 on the use of the title of landscape designer and by the order of 28 August 2017 laying down the conditions for applying for and granting permission to use the title of landscape designer.
If you have any questions, you can also consult the FAQs below:
Candidates will not be eligible:
- over 37 years of age
- not meeting the diploma requirements
- companies created before January 1, 2013
The evaluation of the case is made during 2 jury sessions.
Applications submitted are evaluated according to the following procedure:
- Verification of the administrative compliance of applications, carried out internally by the Architecture department
- Expertise of professional files by about fifty architects and landscapers mobilized by the Architecture department
- Final jury
The files are evaluated according to the following criteria:
Analysis of the application
- Does the candidate’s production reflect explicit theoretical and/or architectural references?
- Does the candidate’s production reflect a consideration of the major contemporary issues of architecture and landscape?
- Does the application reveal a characteristic in the candidate’s professional practice, technical, programmatic, procedural...?
- Does the candidate demonstrate innovation capabilities?
- Originality of practice
- Design Quality
- Quality of representation/presentation
- Quality of the production
- Quality of the process
- Understanding contemporary architectural or landscape issues
- Quality of motivation
- Capacity for innovation
The winners are then promoted by an exhibition accompanied and/or an event of a catalogue produced by the City of Architecture and Heritage and an international travelling exhibition.
- Opening of the deposit of files: 10 May 2023
- Application deadline: 20 June 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- Notification of acceptance or refusal of the application, after verification of the administrative validity of the file: 07 July 2023
- Announcement of winners: end of 2023, by ministerial press release.
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
Examples of projects previously supported
In the document below, you will find the list of 2020 contest winners:
You will also find portraits and achievements of the 2020 winners on the site of the City of Architecture and Heritage.
If you have any questions about the Young Architects and Landscapers Albums (AJAP) competition, please contact:
Heritage and Architecture Branch (APB)
Architecture Department, Architecture Quality and Living Environment Branch
Office of Architectural Control Professions
01 40 15 83 77
182 Rue Saint-Honoré, 75001 Paris
Frequently Asked Questions
Case 1: If the average age of the partners is less than 37 years AND if the agency has been created for less than 10 years: application admissible
Case 2: If more than 51% of the shares of the company are held by partners of less than 37 years AND if the agency is created for less than 10 years: application admissible
Otherwise: application not admissible