The Normandy Academy, the Normandy Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs and the Normandy Region jointly launch a network of spaces of contemporary art exhibitions "De visu" within the colleges, high schools and higher education institutions in the Normandy region. This device puts the school community and the surrounding population in direct contact with contemporary art creation, through monographic exhibitions by artists.
Presentation of the device
What is the DE VISU call for projects?
DE VISU is a device for the circulation of works within the current network of art spaces. The artists transmit directly to the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs (DRAC) their application file consisting of an exhibition proposal of existing works, suitable for circulation, and not of an artistic project to be produced.
An inaugural exhibition is organized from 9 to 29 November 2023 at theCaen School of Arts and Media which will present some of the selected works. A catalogue of the exhibition is also produced. A day of meeting between artists and teachers is organized on the occasion of the opening of the exhibition Thursday, November 9, 2023. Teachers will be convened as part of the academic training plan. The presence of artists is requested to foster dialogue around their works.
During the 2024 calendar year (divided into 5 periods) artists' works circulate within schools (5 institutions maximum). Each exhibition in each of the current art spaces of the schools gives rise to a public meeting of the works in the presence of the artist; with an intervention time of 12 hours (mediation and/or practice) provided by the selected pedagogical project, and a public meeting of works in the presence of the artist.
Institutions may also take over additional exhibitions, in particular by mobilizing the Culture Pass in partnership with artists subject to their listing on Pass culture and Adage.
In each institution, each referent is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the hanging, the opening, the artists' interventions in front of the students. With the artists, he oversees the circulation of the works, packaged, from the workshop to the exhibition site. Each school undertakes to ensure the safety of works, the quality of packaging for transport. Each following establishment carries out the transport of the works, taking care to establish a statement of state before taking charge.
For each exhibition, an agreement is established between the school and the Radar (cultural operator administrative coordinator of the device) and between the Radar and the artist. A document for taking charge of the works, mentioning among other things the number of works, their condition, the nature of the packaging, etc. is signed by the head of establishment on arrival and departure of the works.
Objectives of the approach
This call for projects aims to:
- To evoke the encounter with contemporary creation in plastic arts in all its forms: installations, drawing, painting, sculpture, video, photography, plastic expressions linked to new technologies…
- To question, in an innovative way, the place of art and culture in society and to sharpen the gaze of the public concerned on the artistic potentialities of the world around it.
- To place young people as responsible actors and not just consumers of culture.
- To open artistic and cultural education on the territory, in connection with the city.
- Open partnerships between educational and higher education institutions and structures for creation and dissemination.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Individuals (Artists)
Artists must attest to an ongoing professional activity within the current regulatory framework.
Artists who received individual creative assistance in 2021 and 2022 are automatically selected but must submit a complete application to integrate the scheme.
Priority will be given to:
- to new applications
- renewals of applications for new projects
The quality of the artistic project and the proposed mediation avenues will be taken into account.
Each artist receives a lump sum of 500 euros for the costs of monstration during the inaugural exhibition, trips and day of meeting with teachers included. It is then responsible for paying the various fees for the payment of this subsidy.
For the presentation of his works in schools, each artist also receives by exhibition a lump sum of 820 euros, including the hours of mediation in school (€60 x 12 hours in front of students – preparation and hanging included + €100 presentation fees - within 12 hours, one hour can be dedicated to the opening time).
A contribution to travel expenses on the basis of the scale of the kilometric allowance of taxes and to the costs of meals and nights of artists is provided by the schools to the maximum of 230 euros per exhibition (on proof). Each artist will benefit from the school restoration during his days of presence in the establishment.
For the purposes of editing and communication related to the device, each artist undertakes to assign the right to reproduce the images free of charge.
Only complete records will be admissible.
The sending of this presentation file does not guarantee its selection (except for artists benefiting from individual support for the creation by the DRAC in 2021 and 2022), which is carried out by a commission including representatives of the DRAC, the academy of Normandy, the DRAAF, the Region, the Radar and the host structure of the inaugural exhibition.
- Opening of the deposit of files: 10 April 2023.
- Deadline for submission: 25 May 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- An acknowledgement will be sent to the project leader. If there is no news of this acknowledgement within 15 days of the closing date, please email the RDCA:
- Download and complete the application form below.
- Return the form with all the supporting documents by clicking on the "Submit my file" button below. This will allow you to email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the DE VISU call for projects in Normandy, please contact:
Normandy DRAC by email (PDF only)