To meet the development and structuring needs of festivals, support their transitions and encourage their innovations and artistic risk-taking, the Ministry of Culture provides financial assistance under certain conditions.
Presentation of the device
What is a festival?
A festival is defined as an event limited in time and space, which develops an artistic and cultural project in an editorial logic of programming forming a unity, based on three criteria:
- The programming of artistic works and creations offered mainly by professionals;
- A defined duration and recurrence over time, whether annual, biennial, etc.;
- A territorial anchor.
What is support for festivals in the field of artistic creation?
Any festival organizer in the field of creation (live performance and visual arts) who meets the eligibility conditions set by the Ministry of Culture within the framework of the "Principles of State Commitment to Festivals" and meets the criteria for intervention provided for in this text may apply for financial assistance by filling in this form.
Three types of aid are foreseen: one-off, three-year and one cross-cutting. In order to benefit from it, a festival must meet eligibility criteria and contribute to at least two issues in each of the following fields: artistic, cooperation and structuring of professional channels, territorial registration and accessibility and open to the public.
One-off assistance can be seen as “project” assistance. It does not support the overall operation, but rather support for a particular action or component of actions.
Examples: funding for a major co-production or artistic collaboration, setting up a partnership to organize tours of artists, shows or works in a given territory, funding of an innovative or enhanced cultural action or arts education programme, support for the experimentation of an innovative, hybrid or digital edition, support for the financing of a specific editorial project, assistance for residencies, etc.
This aid may be granted only on two occasions.
Three-year assistance can be assimilated to “structuring” assistance. It contributes to support all the artistic and cultural activities of a festival and its operation.
Example: support for a structuring festival allowing the presence of an aesthetic or a discipline little represented within the territory concerned.
Please note: this three-year assistance results in a multi-year agreement (MOC) with concrete and measurable objectives.
This aid may be renewed.
The cross-cutting aid aims to support a transition process, of whatever nature, of the artistic, cultural and/or institutional project.
Support for proactive actions on sustainable development, gender equality and the fight against gender and sexual violence and harassment is a priority in 2023.
No application gives an automatic right to a subsidy. The project promoter is also required to receive at least one other public funding. Each territorially competent decentralized service is in charge of the investigation and follow-up of requests, according to the procedures it determines.
Am I concerned by this approach?
To seek the support of the Ministry of Culture, a festival must meet the following definition: to be an event limited in time and space, which develops an artistic and cultural project in an editorial logic of programming forming a unity.
To find out if they are eligible, festivals are invited to refer to the eligibility criteria below.
The festival must also respond to three main criteria:
- programming of artistic works and creations offered mainly by professionals
- a defined duration and a recurrence over time, whether annual, biennial, etc.
- a territorial anchor
And meet all of the following conditions:
- present an artistic and cultural project of general interest
- have produced at least two previous editions
- to develop a program whose independence and freedom of creation and programming are guaranteed, by an artistic direction ensuring the autonomous management of a dedicated budget
- respect the regulations on employment and labour law, safety and health, the environment, for all persons contributing to the realization of the event, whether employees or volunteers, and whatever their status
- ensure fair remuneration for artists and authors, and respect for intellectual property rights
- to promote equal access for women and men to artistic programming and to creative support
- have initiated a prevention and fight against gender and sexual violence in accordance with the plans developed by the Ministry of Culture and its operators
- promote diversity, equality and the fight against discrimination
- for live entertainment festivals ticketing issuer, be up to date with its ticket declarations in SIBIL
- respect the principles of the “Charter of Sustainable Development for Festivals” annexed to this text, by implementing sustainable and responsible actions for which the State can provide support.
In addition, the commitment of the Ministry of Culture to support festivals organized in the ultramarine territories will take into account:
- the geographical location of these territories whose remoteness generates additional transport costs for artists, as well as a particular economy
- specific events such as carnivals or artistic events that highlight contemporary forms of intangible cultural heritage
Music and Variety Festivals:
DRAC and DAC can support music festivals outside the scope of the tax, for one-off or three-year aid, subject to eligibility in reference to the State Commitment Principles.
Moreover, the DRAC and DAC may support certain festivals falling within the scope of the tax if this support is justified in view of the structuring role played by the event, in artistic terms and/or in relation to the populations, in accordance with the Principles of State Engagement within the territory concerned.
National Music Centre (NJC) can help with festivals tax on entertainment in accordance with the procedures laid down in its general rules of aid. This “support for festivals”, framed by Article 26 of this regulation, aims to support festivals evolving in a professional setting, contributing to the general interest of the profession and presenting a certain artistic and economic risk-taking: https://cnm.fr/aides/spectacle-vivant/aide-aux-festivals/.
In addition, the NJC can support theall music festivals as part of the transversal aids the Principles of State Commitment to Festivals. In 2022, the aid developed by the institution concerns equality between women and men, the digital transition, the ecological transition (July 2022) and, for festivals in the tax field, the implementation of a CSR bonus (second half of 2022): https://cnm.fr/aides/aides-transversales-dinteret-general/.
All aid to music festivals is subject to a in-depth dialogue between NJC and RDCA and CAD.
- Less than two editions prior to application
- Do not justify support from at least one other public partner
- Failure to respect commitments made in the fight against HSV, a necessary condition for the admissibility of the application. This condition shall be considered at the time of application for the grant, as part of the training by the DRAC or DAC services, in support of the presentation of the existing mechanism put in place by the structure to prevent and treat VHSS and the commitment form on the honour of the requesting structure.
- For music and variety festivals, refer to eligibility criteria
The grant is paid by the territorially competent DRAC or DAC. Each DRAC or DAC shall establish its timetable and procedures for the examination and selection of dossiers and the payment of aid.
- Deadline for applications: 15 March 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file can be considered after this date.
- Date of announcement of results: Refer to the relevant RDCA or DAR site.
- Method of Reporting Results: Results will be reported by the appropriate RDCA or DAR.
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
Support for regional festivals
Commission dates will be communicated later. Please refer to the regional information below for the calendar set up by the decentralized department of the Ministry of Culture in your region.
If you have any questions about the Fonds de soutien aux festivals dans le domaine de la création artistique en Normandie, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the Fonds de soutien aux festivals dans le domaine de la création artistique en Nouvelle-Aquitaine, please contact: email@example.com.
If you have any questions about the Fonds de soutien aux festivals dans le domaine de la création artistique en Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The regional commission will take place on March 28, 2023. Responses will be sent to the supporting structures by April 28, 2023
If you have any questions about the Fonds de soutien aux festivals dans le domaine de la création artistique, you are invited to contact your decentralized department, whose contact details are indicated above or to:
Creative Arts Branch (BOD)
Multidisciplinary Dissemination and Transversal Programs Department
01 40 15 88 33
62 Rue Beaubourg, 75003 Paris