The tent and its roaming are elements of the circus identity, its history, its practice, its aesthetics and its relationship to the inhabitants of the territories. The Ministry of Culture supports this homeless approach by allocating a grant to itinerant creative circuses.
Presentation of the device
What is roaming assistance for creative circuses?
The circus of creation is distinguished from the classical circus by very heterogeneous artistic forms, the absence of numbers and wild animals. Marquee and itinerant creations play an essential role in the policy of cultural decentralization.
Companies or circus companies that regularly broadcast their shows under a travelling tent are eligible for roaming assistance.
Assistance for the roaming of creative circuses is allocated over a roaming season, calculated over a maximum period of 12 months, over a single calendar year or over two calendar years. The roaming season can be continuous or discontinuous in several rounds (a tour is between the departure and return of the convoy to the usual circus installation site). It must concern several cities or stages. It must include at least 30 performances of one or more shows produced by the requesting circus, presented under its marquee.
Assistance for the homeless can be combined with other public aid from the Ministry of Culture (project aid, agreements).
Objectives of the approach
Assistance for homeless people has several objectives:
- support creative circuses (companies or companies) that have chosen to roam under a marquee in a coherent and quality artistic approach
- promote the distribution of circus shows under marquees by reducing the costs of divestiture of broadcasters or by offsetting a portion of the transportation and installation costs for circuses offering their shows in self-production
- to promote the dissemination of the circus in the most diverse territories in order to raise awareness and broaden the public, on the one hand, and the quality of the performances offered, on the other hand
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
- Public institutions/ State services
To be eligible, circuses must meet the following criteria:
- be French residents
- have experience managing a travelling tent (as owner or tenant of the tent) with a minimum capacity of 100 seats
- have at least two years of professional activity
- perform at least 30 performances of one or more circus shows under a marquee for the duration of the travelling season in question
The following are not eligible for this aid:
- circuses established in fixed place
- circuses that perform in theatres,
- circuses broadcasting in one or two cities only
- Companies that occasionally use a tent to broadcast a show (circus or other)
Support for the roaming of creative circuses does not concern other forms of performance.
This aid takes the form of an operating grant.
The costs necessary to roam the tent are covered by the subsidy. Other costs related to the tour (artist fees, administrative fees, communication, etc.) are not covered by this aid.
The grant is between €10,000 and €25,000 per touring circus.
The grant payments will be made by the decentralized departments of the Ministry of Culture during the summer of 2023.
Applications will be evaluated by the Direction Générale de la Création Artistique (DGCA) and the territorially competent decentralized departments of the Ministry of Culture. Particular attention will be paid to:
- quality of touring performances
- quality of circus involvement in the territories invested
- choice of roaming in the overall approach of the company or circus company
- number of dates considered
- nature of the territories and affected audiences with particular attention to disadvantaged areas and tours that pose economic risks for the organiser (self-produced circus or buyer): tours in rural areas, small towns, tariff policies aimed at widening public
- partnerships with venues and/or cities committed to hosting shows
- geographic consistency of tours
- tour arrangements: sale of shows or self-production
- elements constituting the costs of roaming: size of the tent, convoy, format of the show (team on tour, set), route of the tour
- Opening of the deposit of files: 31 March 2023
- Deadline for submission of applications: 29 May 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- File Processing: June 2023
- Announcement of results: July 2023
- Grant Payments: Summer 2023
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
Examples of projects previously supported
In 2022, about twenty creative circus companies were helped, in all regions, for large-scale sub-marquee projects, with amounts ranging from €10,000 to €20,000, to help them cover fuel costs, guarding, or space rights, etc.
If you have any questions about Roaming Assistance for Creative Circuses, please contact:
Creative Arts Branch (BOD)
Theatre and associated arts delegation
01 40 15 88 83
62 Rue Beaubourg, 75003 Paris
or to the decentralized service of the Ministry of Culture of the place of realization of your project:
- Yoan Devun, Circus Advisor: email@example.com
- Stéphanie Lafforgue, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Céline Tissot, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Edith Frobert, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dorothée Villemaux, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: dorothée.email@example.com
- Sophie Renard, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fabien Spillmann, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Fabienne Marcot, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jean-Christophe Baudet, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Axelle Villin, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perrine Pierson, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Céline Chevrieux, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jean-Luc Sarrola, Project Manager for Cultural Action: email@example.com
- Catherine Zimmermann, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valérie Buchert, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
Site of Châlons
- Amanda Mouellic, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Parjoie, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Marie Claude Nicolas, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jean-Michel Soloch, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: Jeanemail@example.com
- Christine Ricci, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peggy Rougeaux, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Sylviane Brullot, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mounia Boudiaf, Theatre Advisor (Amiens site), puppets and circus: email@example.com
- Dominique Neffati, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camille Noblet, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Adama Coulibaly, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Véronique Fricoteaux, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Fanny Lopez, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julien Delot, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Joël Colleville, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gwenaëlle Groussard, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Véronique Roger, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marion Limeuil, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Nathalie Blondel, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sophie Caruso, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Nathalie Piat, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Evelyne Jeantet, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Agnès Clausse, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sophie Gabilan, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Pascale Canivet, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Régine Cadio, Administrative Manager: email@example.com
- Magali Calbo, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sylvie Raissiguier, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Alexandre Sauron, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Céline Brugere, Live Entertainment Advisor: email@example.com
- Amélie Yekani, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Céline Delaval, Live Entertainment Advisor: email@example.com
- Marie Combette, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stéphane Negrin, Theatre and Associated Arts Advisor: email@example.com
- Martine Nativel, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agnès Bretel, Live Entertainment Advisor: email@example.com
- Maguy Azerot, Administrative Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benoit Bavouset, Live Entertainment Advisor: email@example.com