To remain alive, a language must be able to name the realities of the world in which it evolves and express the new concepts that emerge, especially in technical and scientific fields: it is the enrichment of its vocabulary. The Ministry of Culture financially supports projects aimed at developing and developing the resources of the French lexicon, that is lexicography, neology and terminology, and contributing to their influence in France and abroad.
Presentation of the device
What is the enrichment of the French language?
The French language is alive and well. Far from being frozen in daily practice, it evolves as French society changes. It is abundant in the scientific and technical fields where, faced with the temptation to borrow foreign languages, vigilance is indispensable to accompany the creation of French terms.
At the Ministry of Culture, the General Delegation for the French Language and Languages of France (DGLFLF) coordinates an interdepartmental mechanism to produce a reference terminology (all terms) to name in French the realities and new concepts, which often appear first with foreign names.
Objectives of the approach
Apart from the action conducted directly by the DGLFLF, many practical or theoretical linguistics works focus on the evolution of the vocabulary of current French (the appearance of new words, in lexicography and in neology) and vocabularies of specialized languages (the creation of technical terms, in terminology). They are conducted at very different levels, whether in the field of terminology production, research or standardization, in university centres, businesses, language policy organizations...
By providing its financial support, the DGLFLF endeavours to encourage projects aimed at supporting the enrichment of the French language, maintaining and developing its use in all fields, in France and abroad.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
- Local public enterprises
- EPCI with own taxation
- Public institutions/ State services
- Research organisations
The support system is primarily aimed at an audience of language specialists – linguists and, in particular, terminology specialists –, and organizations whose work focuses on the French vocabulary and whose purpose is to encourage the use and dissemination of French.
Under this grant, the Ministry of Culture gives priority to:
- actions and tools to promote and disseminate lexicography, neology and terminology in French
- work to harmonize and disseminate terminology in French throughout the Francophonie
- development and dissemination of monolingual or multilingual specialist vocabularies
- the creation of methodological tools for the identification of neologisms and new realities and for the monitoring of new terms and the measurement of their implementation
- the international dimension and the contribution to the influence of French
- and academic work on related aspects of the evolution of contemporary French, such as spelling and feminization
Capital or equipment expenditure is not eligible.
The amount of the grant, usually between EUR 1,000 and EUR 5,000, is determined according to the nature and quality of the project and the expenditure required to carry it out.
For more than €5,000, consult DGLFLF in advance. The grant has an incentive character and must have a leverage effect to enable it to raise other support.
The grants granted by the DGLFLF are awarded on an annual basis, in a single instalment, upon presentation of a detailed and costed project, specifying in particular:
- a) For events and symposia: the timetable and provisional budget, programme and dissemination forecasts;
- b) For publications: the anticipated publication date, estimated budget, target audience, planned draw and promotional activities.
Particular attention will be paid to:
- The participation of French speakers and the reception of a French-speaking audience, the dissemination in French of information relating to the project or the event, in particular the programme and the acts in the case of international events, in France and abroad.
- Free and open access, in particular online, to the proceedings of the demonstrations and the deliverables and the results of the projects supported.
- The creation or development of cooperation networks.
The grants awarded by DGLFLF are awarded on an annual basis.
The project balance sheet must be submitted by 31 March of the year following the payment of the grant.
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
Examples of projects previously supported
Projects supported in 2022:
- Organization of the 5th International Congress of Romanesque Language Neology (CINEO)
- Organization of the 8th World Congress of French Linguistics
- Publication of a printed work and a thematic issue in open access relating to the colloquium «La traduction au service des institutions: outils, expériences et innovations pour le multilinguisme» of the LTT network (Lexicologie Terminologie Traduction)
If you have any questions about helping languages in the digital world, please contact:
General Delegation for French and French (DGLFLF)
Mission of the development and enrichment of the French language
01 40 15 36 95
3 rue de Valois, 75001 Paris