By supporting the dissemination of the press, the Ministry of Culture helps to guarantee freedom of the press, pluralism of expression, information for the citizen and the conditions of democratic debate.
Presentation of the device
What is aid to the pluralism of all online press services?
Support for pluralism in all-online news services was created by the Decree no. 2021-16666 of 15 December 2021.
An all-online press service is a press title distributed exclusively electronically, with no variation on a printed format. The aid benefits press companies publishing one or more recognized online press services for political and general information (IPG) (Article 2 of the decree of 29 October 2009).
Support for the pluralism of on-line political and general news services aims to support these press services in order to encourage the development of their editorial activity, ensure the sustainability of their business model and allow access to a quality press and pluralism of ideas. The scheme covers all types of offers: paid, free or mixed.
This subsidy is based on the amount of media editorial spending to enable media companies to offer reliable and quality information online in response to new digital models. In order to encourage titles that attract a financial commitment from their readers and seek to meet the concerns of press independence, a bonus is granted according to the number of paid subscribers. Finally, a financial supplement is granted to companies created less than three years ago publishing an online press service created less than three years ago.
Am I concerned by this approach?
Support is granted to online news services that meet the following conditions:
- Be an online press service recognized by IPG by the Joint Commission on Publications and News Agencies (CAPC)
- To be an on-line press service published by a press company which can justify a closed accounting year covering the calendar year preceding the year of award of aid.
No aid can be paid to online press services:
- The content of which was condemned by the Director of the publication, which became final in the five years preceding the application for aid, pursuant to articles 24 or 24 bis the law of 29 July 1881 on press freedom;
- Who do not meet the conditions imposed by the first paragraph of Article 30 of Decree No. 55-486 of 30 April 1955*;
- Who in the same year received aid under the Community Social Information Media Support Fund governed by the Decree no. 2016-511 of 26 April 2016 ;
- In the same year, they received further aid for pluralism.
*Article 30, paragraph 1 of the Decree of 30 April 1955:"Natural or legal persons who apply for grants, grants, loans and guarantees of an economic or social nature provided for by the legislation and regulations in force must show that their situation is in order, both in relation to the bodies responsible for managing the social security services and in relation to the administrations responsible for collecting taxes.
The amount of the grant is €4 million, for around 100 expected beneficiaries.
The grant takes the form of operating aid. It is awarded annually to each publishing structure on behalf of its all-online press service(s). It’s a one-time payment in the fall of 2023.
The grant consists of aid, an improvement and a financial supplement. The Director-General for Media and Cultural Industries shall decide each year on the allocation to each of these components, within the limits of the appropriations available.
A unit subsidy rate shall be calculated by dividing the available appropriations by the total amount of editorial expenditure in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted by all eligible online press services.
The aid allocated to each on-line press service shall be calculated by multiplying the unit subsidy rate by the amount of editorial expenditure made by the on-line press company on behalf of the on-line press service in the preceding financial year the year in which the aid was granted.
This is granted to all online press services whose annual subscription sales price is between 30% and 160% of the average annual subscription sales price of IPG’s all online press services, observed during the calendar year preceding the year in which the aid was granted.
A unit subsidy rate shall be calculated by dividing the available credits by the number of paid subscribers, declared in the year preceding the year of award of the aid, by the total of all eligible online press services.
The bonus for each all-online press service shall be calculated by multiplying the unit subsidy rate by the number of paying subscribers declared by the all-online press service in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted.
The Director-General for Media and Cultural Industries sets a threshold for the number of subscribers each year above which the unit subsidy rate is reduced by 100%.
A financial supplement is awarded to online press companies established less than three years ago, publishing an all-online press service created less than three years before the year in which the aid was granted.
The supplement is calculated by dividing the available appropriations by the number of on-line press services eligible for this supplement.
For online press companies established more than three years ago, publishing an all-online press service created more than three years ago on the date of the year in which the aid was granted, the amount of aid granted may not exceed 25% of the total on-line press service revenue, excluding public subsidies, for the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted.
The amount of aid granted to an online press company publishing one or more all-online press services may not exceed 30% of its operating expenses for the year in which the aid was granted.
- Opening of the deposit of files: 01 April 2023.
- Deadline for submission: 31 May 2023, at 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or considered after this date.
- Announcement of results: Fall 2023, by mail and email.
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
If you have any questions about assistance to the on-line press services of political and general information, you are invited to contact the office of the economic regime of the press:
Media and Cultural Industries Branch (CMIB)
Office for the Economic Regime of the Press
01 40 15 33 70
182 Rue Saint-Honoré, 75001 Paris
Other aid for media pluralism
In order to guarantee the pluralism of the press, the Ministry of Culture offers various aids to the press services:
- Support for the pluralism of regional and local periodicals
- Support for pluralism in all online press services: on this page
- Aid for the pluralism of overseas titles
- Support for national publications of political and general information with low advertising resources (PFRP)
- Support for national daily political and general information with low advertising resources (QFRP)
- Assistance to regional, departmental and local daily newspapers of political and general information with low resources of classifieds (QFRPA)