The “deconcentrated aids to live entertainment” (ADSV) system forms the basis of the Ministry of Culture’s policy in favour of artistic teams. This system supports independent artists or artistic teams so that they can develop their creative work and benefit the widest possible audience (dissemination). It contributes to the accompaniment of the career of the artist or the artistic team in its creative dynamics with ad hoc (project assistance) or multi-year (agreements for 2, 3 or 4 consecutive years).
Presentation of the device
What are deconcentrated aids to live entertainment (ADSV)?
The Decentralized Aids to Performing Arts (ADSV) system forms the basis of the Ministry of Culture’s policy in favour of artistic teams.
In 2021, the scheme concerned:
- 1412 artistic teams including:
- 375 musical ensembles
- 313 dance companies
- 724 theatre, circus and street arts teams
- €56m in appropriations allocated by the decentralized departments of the Ministry of Culture in the regions
- 700 qualified personalities (programmers, artists, academics, etc.) who have mobilized to participate in advisory committees and help to inform by their opinions the decisions to accompany decentralized services
These aids are framed by statutory instruments, reformed in 2021 and 2022, which you can find at the bottom of the page.
Objectives of the approach
The main objective of the approach is to accompany the artist or artistic team in its creative dynamic. Thus, the award of any kind of aid must be an appropriate response to a stage identified in a professional career and must take into account the different temporalities of the work of the artistic team.
The two categories of aid
Intended to support the creation and dissemination to the public of live performances in the fields of dance, music, theatre, street arts and circus arts, the ADSV is divided into two financial grants: project assistance and contract financing.
- Theproject assistance is a ad hoc aid awarded to support the production of a new creation or to allow the resumption or recreation of a show after a period of interruption.
- the contractual arrangement is a multiannual aid The challenge is to provide, over time, support adapted to the activity cycle of the artist or artistic team. Lasting 2, 3 or 4 consecutive years, depending on the career of the artist and the degree of structuring and maturity of his artistic and cultural project, this aid is intended for the most innovative and confirmed teams in the artistic field and whose achievements have a national reputation.
To find out more about these aids and to check your eligibility, you are invited to contact your regional advisor before submitting your application.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
- Local public enterprises
- EPCI with own taxation
The aid is intended for artists, collectives of artists, companies or professional ensembles. The aesthetics concerned cover the whole field of the creation of live performance in music, dance, theatre and associated arts (storytelling, puppetry, street arts, circus arts, etc.).
ADSV can be allocated to:
- an artist, artist collective, company or professional ensemble
- an artistic and cultural enterprise to which artists, artists' collectives, companies or professional groups, designers of the project, have delegated by contract the responsibility for the implementation of the project concerned
A single structure can ensure the carrying of projects for several artists, collectives, companies or ensembles. In this case, the structure can file several files, taking care not to exceed the limit of one application per artist and per calendar year.
The project support cannot be combined with the agreement for the same artist/ artistic team. On the other hand, it can be combined with other aids from the Ministry (aid for creation in the fields of street arts and circus arts, aid for co-authorship, research, residencies, aid for musical writing, etc.).
Structures whose main activity is teaching, animation and educational intervention are not eligible for this scheme.
Holders must also ensure that they meet the following criteria:
- the filing of applications is limited to one application per artist, collective, team or group and per calendar year
- the two types of aid (contractual and project) cannot be cumulated over the same period
Project support supports projects to:
- production of a new creation
- resumption a show after a period of interruption
- recreation a show after a period of interruption
The creation (first performance) of the show for which the aid was granted must take place no later than 31 August of the calendar year following the payment of the aid.
To be funded, projects must demonstrate:
- ofat least one production partnership with one or more performing artists
- ofa minimum number of performances for the representation of the assisted project
The number of partnerships and representations is defined by order of the Minister of Culture for each aesthetic.
All project eligibility criteria for project aid are detailed, by discipline, in Annex 2 to the circular available at the bottom of the page.
Projects whose specific features (aesthetics, formats, conditions of production or distribution) make these criteria difficult to apply may benefit from a derogation upon a reasoned decision by the regional prefect.
The purpose of this assistance is to provide, in the long term, support adapted to the activity cycle of the artist or artistic team and to its potential to deploy activities over several years. A modulation of the duration of the aid over two, three or four years is planned in order to adapt it to the different stages of the course and to the characteristics of the artistic and cultural project, taking into account in particular the research time.
The criteria taken into account for the admissibility of a contract application (previous activities and perspectives of the upcoming artistic and cultural project) are:
- for an initial application, the number of representations, the number of production partners and the number of creations or creative activities carried out, with priority given to projects previously supported by the State
- for a renewal application, the achievement of the objectives attached to the aid previously allocated, as well as the prospects for the number of creations or future creation activities
All the eligibility criteria for the teams' overall artistic and cultural projects are detailed, by discipline, in Appendix 2 of the circular available at the bottom of the page.
During the appraisal phase of the dossier, the DRAC or the DAC may identify projects which make it difficult to apply all the criteria "because of the singularity of the aesthetics, of proposals of atypical form, of conditions of production or diffusion related to the rhythm or the format of creation".
Combating gender and sexual violence and harassment (GBV)
The structures receiving support from the Ministry of Culture are required, from 2022, to commit to the fight against gender and sexual violence and harassment (GBV) and to respect their obligations.
For more information, please visit:
Any person or structure applying for a grant from the Ministry of Culture must complete the online application form. To file your VHSS file, go here:
The two types of aid cannot be combined over the same period.
The allocation of aid takes into account artists and artistic teams who develop a creative approach distinguished by a particular risk-taking and innovation (new entries, cross-disciplinary fields, use of digital tools, etc.) or an activity that refers to the artistic field concerned.
Examination of applications for contractual arrangement will be carried out in particular in accordance with quantitative criteria, which vary according to the artistic field in question and the type of aid requested and are specified in Annex 2 to the circular.
During the examination phase of the dossier, decentralized departments of the Ministry of Culture will be able to identify projects which make it difficult to apply all the criteria “because of the singularity of aesthetics, of proposals of atypical form, of conditions of production or dissemination related to the rhythm or the format of creation”.
After receipt of the requests, each decentralized department of the Ministry of Culture is responsible for examining the administrative admissibility of files within its territory, ensuring that:
- completeness of documents
- compliance with the legal framework of the applicant companies
- the eligibility of the application with regard to the criteria defined in the order of 16 December 2021 and specified in the circular
This step will allow the identification of all admissible applications and therefore likely to be submitted to the Advisory Board.
Sector Advisor Review
If the application is admissible, a time of exchange is mandatory between the sectoral advisor of the decentralized service of the Ministry of Culture and the artist or artistic team so that he or she presents his or her work and provides additional information useful for the examination of the application.
The Sector Advisor will examine all applications in their various aspects (artistic, cultural, partnership, budget, social, artist background and previous requests, etc.). On this basis, he will identify the teams invited, if necessary, to present their work at the hearing.
Opinion of the Advisory Committee
The decentralized department of the territorially competent Ministry of Culture convenes the committee for an opinion. Through a confrontation of points of view, these advisory opinions feed into the analysis of the decentralized service of the Ministry of Culture which will identify the projects which have attracted a majority of favourable opinions. The decentralized department of the Ministry of Culture will also appreciate the feasibility of the project and the timeliness of support in the light of other requests, the available budget and the public policy priorities pursued, with particular attention to the diversity of aesthetics, respect for parity and support for employment
Beneficiaries of project aid must draw up an implementation report at the latest 1 year after receiving the aid. This assessment should be used to assess the production and dissemination achieved.
For the agreement, the beneficiary will provide, on the occasion of its annual grant applications, elements to assess the evolution of its project and to feed the exchange with the referring advisor. This regular assessment of the implementation of the objectives of the multi annual agreement will, where appropriate, enable the amount paid to be adjusted.
In addition, at the latest six months before the end of the agreement, the beneficiary shall draw up a qualitative and quantitative assessment detailing the activities and the achievement of the objectives set out in the reference multiannual agreement. Beyond the data provided annually to the decentralized service of the Ministry of Culture, this assessment requires a reflexive approach and a critical and reasoned appreciation of the artist or artistic team on the trajectory achieved during the duration of the convention and its projection capabilities over the coming years. This assessment will have to be the subject of an expertise by the sector advisor and an exchange with the artist or artistic team, which will be based on a set of criteria and indicators.
How to file a file?
- Before any filing, it is necessary to contact your decentralized department of the Ministry of Culture (DRAC/DAC) of reference to verify the admissibility of your application and guide you according to the evaluation of the project (project assistance) or the overall project of the artist/team (agreement).
- Fill out the Declaration of Commitments to Address Gender and Sexual Violence and Harassment (GBV) by clicking on the "Access Form" button below.
- To access the online form and submit your request for help deconcentrated to the live show, click on the button corresponding to your situation below.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
Silence on an application for aid for more than 9 months shall be deemed to be a rejection decision.
To report on VHSS commitments, go here:
Would you like to apply for project assistance in dance? Go here:
Would you like to apply for a dance contract? Go here:
Would you like to apply for music project assistance? Go here:
Would you like to apply for a music contract? Go here:
Would you like to apply for project assistance in theatre, street arts and circus arts? Go here:
Would you like to apply for a theatre, street and circus arts contract? Go here:
If you have any questions about deconcentrated aids to live entertainment, please contact the deconcentrated service of the Ministry of Culture on which you depend.