The Direction générale de la création artistique (DGCA) renews its call for projects to support research carried out by artists and creative professionals in the fields of theatre, circus, puppetry, street arts, storytelling, the arts of mime and gesture.
Presentation of the device
What is the call for projects "Research in theatre, circus, puppetry, street arts, storytelling, mime and arts of gesture"?
The call for projects Theatre Research and Associated Arts was designed to support research conducted by creative actors outside of any immediate goal of creating or producing a show. The objective of the Ministry of Culture is to accompany the development of new forms of research led by artists, which allow to create new knowledge on the processes of creation and pedagogical practices, that foster the enrichment of heritage and encourage technological innovations in the service of creation.
This year, the call for projects will support two-year projects (2023-2024).
Objectives of the approach
This assistance program addresses three types of issues:
- in the field of creation, promote a renewal of forms and aesthetics;
- from the pedagogical point of view, defend the need for artists in training to access the methods and recent achievements of research;
- on a heritage level, diversify resources and facilitate access.
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Projects must be submitted and supported by a legal entity domiciled in France (cultural institutions, schools, companies, etc.).
- The artistic(s) and scientific(s) responsible for the project must be artists, designers, performers, authors and other creative professionals in the fields of theatre, circus, puppetry, street arts, storytelling, mime and gesture. They must have recognised professional experience in the above-mentioned fields.
- The project leader can only submit one file.
You will find more details on the eligibility criteria in the presentation of the call for projects (file that you will find on the homepage of the form).
The following are ineligible:
- projects supported solely by academic research laboratories and academic institutions;
- projects carried out by students as part of their university training or diplomas (students may not receive support for projects corresponding to their thesis, thesis or final project subject);
- projects that represent a step in a direct process of creating or producing a show;
- projects which aim to prepare workshop programmes proposed as part of vocational training;
- the project leaders who have already been funded under the previous editions of the call for projects Research in theatre and associated arts.
For the maximum amount of grant to be indicated, you can put: 15,000 € max. per year (or 30,000 € max for the whole project over two years.
The grant for year 1 is paid within two months of acceptance of the application (in September). The second instalment will come in the course of year 2 after an appointment taking stock of the progress of the project in the first year.
The selection process will be led by the Direction générale de la création artistique (DGCA) and will be based on the advisory opinion of an expert committee composed of professionals from the theatre, circus, puppetry, street arts, storytelling, mime and gesture and personalities from the world of research, heritage, higher education.
Projects will be selected based on the following criteria:
- scientific and cultural interest of the research project;
- clarity in the enunciation of a research approach, argued and referenced (problem and methodology, state of the art/state of the art of the work carried out on the subject, resources used, phasing of the project, etc.);
- relevance of partners, putting their professional skills and resources at the service of the project;
- quality of the proposed research documentation and retrieval elements;
- feasibility of the project (alignment of objectives with the organization, methodology, schedule and resources dedicated to the project);
- balance of budget and ability to leverage other funding.
- Opening of the deposit of files: 04 January 2023
- Deadline for applications: 05 April 2023 at 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed after this date.
- Expert Panel Meeting: mid-May 2023
- Announcement of selection results and notification of aid to selected applicants: 1 June 2023
- Project Implementation: as of July 2023
- To access the online form, click on the "Access form" button at the bottom of the page.
- Log in or create an account, then let yourself be guided.
Examples of projects previously supported
You will find examples of projects selected in previous editions on this page.
To find the results of the call for projects, go to the following pages:
For any questions about'Call for project Research in theatre, circus, puppetry, street arts, storytelling, mime and gesture arts, you are invited to contact the Direction générale de la création artistique (DGCA):
Research Mission/ Specialized and Higher Education and Research Sub-Directorate
01 40 15 89 41
62 Rue Beaubourg, 75003 Paris