The memory of women and men who have distinguished themselves in the history of France is valued through the label "Maison des Illustres". Awarded by the Ministry of Culture, this label contributes to the conservation and transmission of places shaping our country.
What is a Maison des Illustres?
Present in all metropolitan areas as well as overseas, the Maisons des Illustres draw a real map of places where the history of our country was shaped. These houses show how the heritage is a territory, alive nourished by the personality of those who lived there leaving their trace.
The Maisons des Illustres form a network of memorial sites that continues to grow, connecting local history and national history, the intimate and the collective. They reveal the role played by men and women on a political, religious, scientific or artistic level, whose Ministry of Culture intends to recognize the cultural dimension.
Objectives of the approach
Created in 2011, by the Ministry of Culture, the label «Maisons des Illustres» is intended to enhance places whose vocation is to preserve and transmit the memory of the women and men who inhabited them and distinguished themselves in political history, scientific, social and cultural of France.
The label guarantees visitors to the Maisons des Illustres:
- a quality cultural program
- modalities of accompanying the visit, adapted to all, including the school public and people with disabilities.
To date 253 houses have been labeled.
Would you like to know more about the Maisons des Illustres label? Click here:
Am I concerned by this approach?
- Private companies
- Local public enterprises
- EPCI with own taxation
- Public institutions/ State services
- Research organizations
To receive this label, the owner (public or private, legal or natural person) or the manager acting on his behalf of the building must file an application with the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs (DRAC) on which the property depends.
The site must meet three conditions:
- have been inhabited by an illustrious person and have retained a memory
- have been open to the public at least 40 days a year
- not pursue a primarily commercial purpose
Buildings with a commercial purpose, which are not open to the public at least 40 days a year and have not been inhabited by an illustrious person are not eligible.
The label "Maisons des Illustres" is awarded by prefectural decree.
The award of the "Maisons des Illustres" label will take into account:
- the national and local aura of the illustrious character
- the authenticity of the place
- the cultural subject
- the mechanism of mediation
- the inscription of the place in a tourist and/or cultural itinerary
The possibilities of welcoming visitors with disabilities may be taken into account when assessing the file.
Examples of places labeled "Maison des illustres"
To learn more about the labeled places, you can go to the dedicated interactive map.
The label "Maisons des Illustres" in the region
For more information on how and when to file in your area, please refer to the information below.
Procedures for assessing applications
Applications are received and examined by the DRAC correspondent, who decides on their admissibility. They are then examined by the Regional Commission on Heritage and Architecture (CRPA), under the authority of the DRAC.
The proposals of the DRAC are validated by the Prefect of Region and the label is awarded, for 5 years.
- File opening: 03 April 2023
- Application deadline: 30 June 2023, 23:59 (Paris time). No record may be filed or considered after that date.
- File review and review: July-September 2023
- Transmission of files to members of the regional commission: October 2023
- Meeting of the Regional Commission and award decision: November-December 2023
How to submit a file?
- Download the file below and fill it out.
- Return your file by email by clicking on the "Submit my file" button or by post to the address indicated below.
Example of labelled houses
In the Far East, 22 houses have been awarded the "Maisons des Illustres" label. For more information, please visit: list of illustrious houses (Grand Est).
If you have any questions about the Maison des Illustres en Grand Est label, please contact:
Regional Directorate for Cultural Affairs (DRAC) Grand Est
Regional conservation of historic monuments
2 place de la République - 67084 Strasbourg cedex
03 88 15 57 03
The submission of applications is now complete.
Among the 245 houses labeled "Maisons des Illustres" since 2011, 40 are located in Île-de-France making the region the first by the number, to which some of the sites labeled abroad. However, particular attention must be paid to places attached to the memory of women, still few, and the absence of labeled houses in the departments of Seine-Saint-Denis and Val de Marne.
The DRAC Ile-de-France promotes the label by networking labeled sites. The Club des Illustres, supported by the Ministry of Culture, is an association (law 1901) of labeled houses, founded in 2017 for professionals. It puts the Maisons des Illustres in contact, promotes exchanges between them, makes the labeled sites known to as many people as possible and ensures visibility in all metropolitan regions, overseas and abroad: https://illustres.fr.
Procedures for assessing applications
The DRAC Ile-de-France will pay particular attention to the following elements:
- bibliographic presentation of the Illustrious
- presentation of the house and its links with the Illustrious
- methods of opening to the public
- cultural project
- existence of visit aids
- facilities for visitors with disabilities
- tourist enhancement of the house
- File opening: 15 December 2023
- Application deadline: 02 February 2024, 23:59 (Paris time). No file may be filed or taken into account after this date.
- File compliance review and potential site visits: February to April 2024
- Meeting of the Regional Commission on Heritage and Architecture (CRPA): between June and December 2024
- Announcement of results and prefectural decisions: between September 2024 and January 2025
How to submit a file?
- To download the form, click on the "Download Form" button below.
- Fill out the form and return it by email, along with all the attachments necessary for the examination of your request, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the award of the "Maisons des Illustres" label in Ile-de-France, please contact:
01 56 06 50 04
47 rue Le Pelletier - 75009 Paris
If you have any questions about the Maison des Illustres label in French Polynesia, please contact:
emmanuelle . email@example.com
Head of the culture mission
+689 / 40.468.705
If you have any questions about the Maisons des Illustres, please contact:
General Delegation for Transmission, Territories and Cultural Democracy
Department of territories , Pole of the attractiveness of territories
01 40 15 34 02
Address: 182 Rue Saint Honoré
or the Ministry of Culture’s decentralized service in your region, whose contact details are listed above.