By supporting the dissemination of the press, the Ministry of Culture helps to guarantee freedom of the press, pluralism of expression, information for the citizen and the conditions of democratic debate.
Presentation of the device
What is aid to the pluralism of ultramarine titles?
The aid for the pluralism of the ultramarine titles is part of the "press" plan wanted by the President of the Republic. It aims to facilitate access for overseas residents to the political and general press (Article 2 of the decree of 29 October 2009), in accordance with the constitutional value objective of media pluralism.
Am I concerned by this approach?
Support for the pluralism of ultramarine titles is aimed at print, print and bi-media companies in the communities of theArticle 73 of the Constitution, Saint-Martin, New Caledonia and French Polynesia when the editorial content of the publication they publish is mainly devoted to the news of these communities.
Aid is granted to publications meeting the following conditions:
- Be written in French or in a regional language used in France;
- Be registered in the registers of the Joint Committee on Publications and News Agencies;
- Be a publication of political and general information.
No aid may be paid to publications:
- The content of which was condemned by the Director of the publication, which became final in the five years preceding the application for aid, pursuant to articles 24 or 24 bis the law of 29 July 1881 on press freedom;
- Who do not meet the conditions imposed by the first paragraph of Article 30 of Decree No. 55-486 of 30 April 1955*;
- In the same year as the aid was granted, they received aid under the support fund for local social information media governed by the Decree no. 2016-511 of 26 April 2016 ;
- In the same year the aid was allocated to other forms of pluralism.
*Article 30, paragraph 1 of the Decree of 30 April 1955:"Natural or legal persons who apply for the award of grants, premiums, loans and guarantees of an economic or social nature provided for by the legislation and regulations in force must show that their situation is in order, as regards both the bodies responsible for managing the social security services and the administrations responsible for collecting taxes."
EUR 2 million, distributed among 15 beneficiaries.
In 2021, support for the pluralism of overseas securities benefited 13 publications for a total amount of €2 million.
The grant is paid in one payment in the fall of 2023. The assistance fund is divided into two sections. The allocation of appropriations between these two sections is decided by the Director-General for Media and Cultural Industries.
For each section, a unit subsidy rate shall be calculated by dividing the appropriations available under that section by the number of copies sold in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted, by all the securities eligible for that section.
Aid granted under the first section is granted to daily newspapers providing political and general information.
The aid allocated to each daily shall be calculated by multiplying the unit rate of subsidy by the number of copies actually sold in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted by that daily.
The unit subsidy rate is cut by 50% between two and four million copies, and by 100% over four million copies.
Aid granted under Section 2 shall be granted for political and general information publications at least weekly.
The aid allocated to each publication shall be calculated by multiplying the unit subsidy rate by the number of copies actually sold in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted by that publication.
A subsidy is granted to publications whose turnover from sales by single copy or subscription represents at least 25% of the total turnover excluding taxes recorded in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted.
The allocation for this enhancement is determined annually by the Director General of Media and Cultural Industries.
For the calculation of this subsidy, a unit subsidy rate is obtained by dividing the appropriations available for this subsidy by the total turnover excluding taxes recorded in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted.
The subsidy shall be calculated for each eligible publication by multiplying the unit subsidy rate by the total turnover excluding tax registered in the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted by the publication concerned.
The amount of aid granted to a publication may not exceed 25% of its total revenue, excluding public subsidies, for the year preceding the year in which the aid was granted.
The amount of aid granted to an undertaking publishing one or more publications may not exceed 30% of its operating expenses for the year in which the aid was granted.
- Applications close: May 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. (Paris time). No files can be considered after this date.
- Announcement of results: Fall 2023, by mail and email.
If you have any questions about the aid to the pluralism of ultramarine titles, please contact the office of the economic regime of the press:
Media and Cultural Industries Branch (CMIB)
Office for the Economic Regime of the Press
01 40 15 33 70
182 Rue Saint-Honoré, 75001 Paris
The 2023 filing will open on March 1.
Other aid for media pluralism
In order to guarantee the pluralism of the press, the Ministry of Culture offers various aids to the press services:
- Support for the pluralism of regional and local periodicals
- Support for pluralism in all-online news services
- Aid to the pluralism of ultramarine titles: on this page
- Support for national publications of political and general information with low advertising resources (PFRP)
- Support for national daily political and general information with low advertising resources (QFRP)
- Assistance to regional, departmental and local daily newspapers of political and general information with low resources of classifieds (QFRPA)