The Direction générale de la création artistique (DGCA) defines, coordinates and evaluates the State’s policy on visual arts and performing arts, integrating it into a broader planning and development logic.
Its missions cover, in the areas of its competence, support for creation, support for professional integration, enrichment of public collections, expansion of audiences and dissemination networks...
DGCA supports creation at different levels
- it animates and coordinates, throughout the territory, the organizations and networks of creation, production and dissemination (regional national orchestras and operas, national centres for musical creation, contemporary music scenes, national drama centres, national stages, national choreographic centres, national centres for choreographic development, national circus centres, National Street Arts and Public Space Centres, Regional Contemporary Art Funds, Art Centres, etc.);
- it encourages the organization of national events dedicated to contemporary creation (festivals and biennials of national and international importance) and supports associations strongly committed to the dissemination of contemporary art and performing arts;
- it develops a policy of purchasing and ordering works, notably through the public order, and accompanies the 1% artistic (1% of the amount of work of a public building reserved for the creation of a work of art);
- it guarantees the conservation and enhancement of public funds for contemporary art, public collections, cultural objects entrusted to institutions as well as performing arts, in particular by developing a digitization policy (Numeridanse.tv, Cinémathèque de la danse, etc.);
- it monitors the contemporary art market and proposes measures to promote its development and maintains an ongoing dialogue with artists and professional networks to evolve the artistic and cultural challenges of their practice;
- it is responsible for public institutions in the visual arts and performing arts.
DGCA supports professional integration and audiences
- it defines and implements the regulations relating to higher education in the visual arts and to initial and higher education in the fields of performing arts;
- it coordinates and supports the network of art and higher education schools, promotes research and monitors issues related to vocational integration;
- it structures employment and deals with related social, legal and fiscal issues;
- it encourages the networking of French and foreign professionals and the circulation of works;
- in conjunction with the General Delegation for Transmission, Territories and Cultural Democracy, it develops and conducts a policy in favour of amateur practices, arts and cultural education, broadening of the public and accessibility for people with disabilities;
- it promotes the meeting of audiences with all artistic disciplines and animates the network of multidisciplinary institutions;
- it is also the initiator of major national events such as the Fête de la Musique.
DGCA is comprised of the following services:
- Coordinating mission
- Delegation to visual arts, dance, music, theatre and associated arts
- Specialized and Higher Education and Research Branch
- Financial and General Affairs Branch
- Inspection of artistic creation
- Delegation for authors' and employment policies
- Multidisciplinary Dissemination and Transversal Programs Department