This treasure is an exceptional collection of French goldsmiths made between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. It was discovered incidentally in November 2006 in Pouilly-sur-Meuse by two individuals during work in a private garden. It is composed of cups, salt shakers and sets of silver and vermeil. One of the major pieces is a covered ewer, marked with the Paris hallmark and dated around 1480. Probably in the period 1570-1580 for unknown reasons, it remained in a remarkable state of conservation.
The mobilization of the Lorrain Museum in Nancy to acquire this ensemble
fits perfectly into the theme of its collections has been motivated
- The rarity of such a set of civil goldsmiths, especially series
spoons. Indeed, few precious metal objects of this
epoch have survived, the Kings of France having ordered the fonts
of precious metal from the mid-16th Century to
replenish the royal treasury.
- The historical significance of this tableware, which bears witness to the
table in a wealthy family during the Renaissance in Lorraine.
Given its major heritage importance, this complex has made
the subject of a measure refusing a certificate conferring on it the status of treasury
and allowing to use for the financing of its acquisition,
to the tax provisions of the Law of 4 January 2002 on
This acquisition was made possible thanks to the assistance of the State (
wealth), corporate philanthropy CNP Assurances, contributions from the
Lorraine Regional Council, City of Nancy, Société d'histoire de
Lorraine, and finally thanks to the action of the Sotheby’s Society.
The Minister of Culture and Communication thanks CNP Assurances
for its exemplary action of patronage in favour of this enrichment of
public and broader collections of national heritage.