Frédéric MITTERRAND, Minister of Culture and Communication, and Hervé NOVELLI, State Secretary for Trade, Crafts, Small and Medium Enterprises, Tourism, Services and Consumer Affairs, gave today, Friday, November 6, 2009, the launch of a new policy aimed at developing the economic and tourist potential of French cultural heritage.
Frédéric MITTERRAND, Minister for Culture and Communication, and Hervé NOVELLI, State Secretary for Trade, Crafts, Small and Medium Enterprises, Tourism, Services and Consumer Affairs, today launched a new policy aimed at developing the economic and tourist potential of French cultural heritage.
France’s culture, through its history, its way of life, its heritage… is a source of exceptional attractiveness. Thanks to its museums, monuments, festivals and cultural events, cultural tourism holds a special place in France, both in economic activity and in the influence of our country. They attract millions of French and foreign visitors every year.
Faced with growing interest from visitors from all over the world, Frédéric Mitterrand and Hervé Novelli wanted to take joint and concrete action to meet this expectation. Today, they signed a framework convention on culture and tourism, which sets out a priority objective:
- Fostering innovation and tourism development practices related to monumental heritage, by encouraging operations that can lead in the respect of the conservation of this heritage to the creation of business tourism activities, accommodation or creation of events in the sites. The Ministry of Culture and
of the communication will propose a list of sites placed under its responsibility or that of its public establishments, in which the experimentation of the valorization of the places by the installation of an economic activity (catering, hotel, seminars, etc.) It will be possible in view of their quality and heritage conservation. It
It will be up to Atout France, France’s tourism development agency, to engage with the managers of the sites concerned, the necessary contacts to set up this experiment.
The other objectives are to:
- Work together to develop major event projects, by working together to promote the development of events likely to expand the territories' tourism and cultural policies.
- Develop a shared tool for the knowledge of tourist visits to cultural sites and events, mobilising their financial resources to continue the work of improving the knowledge and dissemination of tourist visits to cultural places,
- Promoting cultural tourism with French and international clienteles who, for the latter, claim to have more than 50% of their choice of stays in France on the discovery of cultural heritage,
- Develop the “Quality-Tourism” brand, valuing this quality approach, which contributes to improving the reception and satisfaction of visitors, making it known to all public bodies and institutions in charge of places of cultural visit which the Ministry of Culture and Communication has the supervision,
- Promoting the “culture and disability” policy, by increasing their collaboration in order to generalize and highlight the accessibility of heritage and cultural expression that contribute to the attractiveness of the French tourist offer,
- Strengthening the link between tourism and cinema, mobilizing energies in liaison with local authorities in order to promote the shooting of major international productions in France,
- Promoting European cultural routes as a vector for responsible tourism, by supporting the development in France of “European Cultural Routes” as examples of true sustainable cultural tourism and reserving specific financial means for their development,
- Working jointly at European and international level, building on the UNESCO Charter for Cultural Tourism and the Convention for the Promotion and Protection of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions to promote a model of tourism based on shared humanistic values, with particular attention to the projects that will be developed within the framework of the “Union for the Mediterranean”.
The “culture-tourism” framework convention the collaboration between the departments of the Ministry of Culture and Communication and the State Secretariat for Trade, Crafts, Small and Medium Enterprises, Tourism, Services and Consumer Affairs and is launching a new and ambitious cultural tourism policy.
Download The convention culture tourism