Construction and restoration. Gothic cathedral par excellence, its construction began in 1163 and lasts more than 170 years. It is the largest religious building in the West until the erection of the Amiens Cathedral in the 13th century. From 1847 to 1864, Lassus and Viollet-le-Duc restored and reconstructed part of the decoration sculpted from ancient documents or works of the cathedrals of Chartres, Reims and Amiens. It is during this restoration that Viollet-le-Duc imagines the 56 chimeras that adorn today the gallery of the towers.
The belfry houses the largest bell of Notre-Dame, the Bourdon Emmanuel, 13 tons, which is visited before access to the panoramic terrace, which offers a 360° view of Paris.
One gothic masterpiece listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, made mythical by the novel by Victor Hugo published in 1831.
See social networks of National Monuments Centre
6, Notre-Dame Square - Place John Paul II