National Library of France (BnF)
- Decree no. 94-3 of 3 January 1994 establishing the National Library of France
- Decree of 25 March 2010 appointing the President of the National Library of France
Public Information Library (BPI)
State Technical Inspection of Territorial Libraries
- Wealth code, Articles L310-1 to L310-6 and R310-1 to R310-3, R310-9 to R310-10 : Municipal and Community Libraries
- General Code of Local Authorities, L1421-4 and L1421-5 and articles D1421-4 and D1421-5.
- Act No. 83-663 of 22 July 1983 supplementing Law No. 83-8 of 7 January 1983 on the division of powers between municipalities, departments, regions and the State
- For the record: Decree no. 88-1037 of 9 November 1988 on the State technical inspection of libraries of local authorities, as amended by Decree 2000-318 of 7 April 2000
Departmental lending libraries (BDP)
- Heritage Code, Book III, Title II: Articles L320-1 to L320-4 and R320-1 to R320-2.
- Order no. 45-2678 of 2 November 1945 creating a central lending library in some departments
- Law no. 83-8 of 7 January 1983 on the division of powers between municipalities, departments, regions and the State
- Law no. 86-29 of 9 January 1986 various provisions relating to local authorities
- Law no. 88-13 of 5 January 1988 to improve decentralization
- Decree no. 86-278 of 26 February 1986 on the Central Lending Library Equipment Program.
- Circulars of 10 November 1952 and 22 February 1968
- Circular DLL 6 no. 1705 of 17 July 1978: mission, means and operation of central lending libraries
- Circular DLL 6 no. 85-47 of 1 August 1985: missions, means and operation of central lending libraries.
Status of State Curators and Library Staff
- Decree no. 92-26 of 9 January 1992 Special Status of the Library Curator Corps and the General Library Curator Corps, as amended by the Decree 2010-966 of 26 August 2010
- Decree 92-29 of 9 January 1992 with special status of the librarian body modified by the Decree 2001-325 of 13 April 2001
- Decree 2011-1140 of 21 September 2011 with special status of the specialized assistant librarian corps
- Decree 2007-655 of 30 April 2007 (ss. 33 and 34) amending the Decree 88-646 of 6 May 1988 with special status of specialized library shopping staff
Status of Territorial Custodians and Librarians
- Law no. 2005-102 of 11 February 2005 for equal rights and opportunities, participation and citizenship of persons with disabilities (1).
- Order of 1 August 2006 laying down the provisions for the application of Articles R. 111-19 to R. 111-19-3 and R. 111-19-6 of the Building and Housing Code relating to the accessibility to persons with disabilities of establishments receiving from the public and facilities open to the public during their construction or creation.
- Decree no. 2006-555 of 17 May 2006 on the accessibility of establishments receiving from the public, facilities open to the public and residential buildings and amending the building and residential code.
Special "libraries" assistance from the general decentralisation fund
- General Code of Local Authorities, Articles R1614-75 to 95, as amended by the Decree no. 2010-767 of 7 July 2010 and the Decree 2012-717 of 7 May 2012, art. 1.
- Circular of 7 November 2012 on the special assistance created within the general decentralisation grant (G.D.) for municipal libraries and departmental lending libraries
Compensation for BDP operating expenses after devolution
- General Code of Local Authorities, article L.1614-11
- General Code of Public Property, article L2112-1 and article L3111-1.
- Ordinance n°2006-460 of 21 April 2006 amended by Order 2008-858 dated 28 August 2008.
Deposit of state funds in municipal libraries
- Orders of Forfeiture of November 2, 1789 and following, 1791 to 1793
- Decree of 1 July 1897 on ministerial concessions
- Forfeiture Acts 1905 and 1908
- General Code of Local Authorities, article R1422-4
Authorization to restore documents from State funds
- General Code of Local Authorities, article R1422-9, as amended by Order in Council No. 2005-1686 of December 25, 2005.
- Heritage Code, article R310-12
Withdrawal of government funds deposits
Classification of movable property, including a library document, for historic monuments
Acquisition of cultural property
- National treasures refused export certificates: Heritage code, articles L121-1 to L121-4 and R121-1 to R121-7
Date of payment, taxation
- Heritage Code, article L122-1 and article D122-1
- General Tax Code, Article 1716a Payment by delivery of works of art, books, collectibles, documents of high artistic or historical value or by delivery of buildings to the Conservatory of Coastal Space and Lakeshore.
- Decree no. 70-1046 of 10 November 1970 laying down the conditions under which the authorizations provided for in Law 68-1251 of 31 December 1968 to promote the conservation of the national artistic heritage shall be granted
- General Tax Code, Schedule 2, Articles 384a and 384a, as amended by Decree no. 2003-281 of 24 March 2003
- Heritage Code, L122-2 to L122-3 and article D122-2
- General Code of Local Authorities, article L2242-2
- Civil Code, Articles 893 to 966
- General Tax Code, article 795 (amended by Order in Council No. 2009-389 of 7 April 2009)
- General Tax Code, article 1131 relating to national artistic heritage
Donations and Bequests
- Civil Code, Chapter V: Testamentary provisions, Articles 1002 to 1024.
- Acceptance by the community: General code of local authorities, Articles L2242-1 to L2242-5
- General Tax Code, article 794
- Civil Code, article 1927
- Heritage Code, L122-4 to L122-8 and Article D122-3
- General Tax Code, article 200, article 238 bis, Article 238 bis-0 A and Article 238 bis-0 AB
- Heritage Code, Book 1, Title II, Chapter 3: Preemption of works of art: L123-1 to L123-3 and R123-1 to R123-8
- Commercial Code, article L321-9 : Voluntary furniture auction companies
- Law No. 2000-642 of 10 July 2000 regulating voluntary sales of furniture at public auctions [In Article 59, taken from Article 37 of the Law of 31 December 1921 fixing the general budget for the financial year 1922, and defining the right of pre-emption]
- Decree no. 2001-650 of 19 July 2001 pursuant to Articles L321-1 to L321-38 of the Commercial Code and relating to voluntary sales of furniture at public auctions, as amended by the decree of 25 March 2007
- Circular DLL 84-919 of 26 April 1984 on the exercise by the State of the reserve of the right of pre-emption in public sale for the benefit of municipal libraries
Exclusion from the scope of public procurement
- Public Procurement Code, article 3, 11°
- Public Procurement Code, article 35, 4° (amended by Decree no. 2008-1355 of 19 December 2008)
- Decree no. 95-172 of 17 February 1995 on the definition of second-hand goods, works of art, collectibles and antiques for the application of the provisions relating to value added tax
Written Heritage and Archival Heritage: Definition of Public and Private Archives, Distribution of Written Heritage Responsibilities between Archives and Municipal Libraries
- Law no. 79-18 of 3 January 1979 on archives
- Circular 94-992 of 2 September 1994 on the distribution of written heritage conservation responsibilities between archives and libraries
Fees: fee for private exploitation of the public domain and remuneration for services rendered by municipalities
- General Code of Local Authorities, Article L2122-22, paragraph 2.
- Decree no. 87-346 of 21 May 1987 on the remuneration of certain services rendered by the Ministry of Culture and Communication, as amended by Decree No. 90-224 of 8 March 1990
[See also Article 119 of the Law of 31 December 1921 fixing the general budget for the financial year 1922].
Commercial or editorial reproduction. Right of destination (exploitation of library collections)
- Code of intellectual property, article L131-3, amended by Law no. 2006-961 of 1 August 2006 on copyright and related rights in the Information Society (DADVSI)
- Law No. 92-546 of 20 June 1992 on legal deposit (L131-1 to L133-1 Heritage Code)
- Decree No. 93-1429 of 31 December 1993 legal deposit (L131-1 to L133-1, R131-1 to R131-7, R132-1 to R132-8, R132-9 to R132-14, R132-15 to R132-22, R132-23, R132-48 to R132-49 and R133-1 Heritage Code)
- Order of 16 December 1996 establishing the list of libraries entitled to receive the legal deposit printer
- Order of 12 January 1995 assimilating to the library curators certain personnel of the archives services entitled to receive the legal deposit printer
- Decrees of 12 January 1995 fixing the mandatory particulars to appear on:
- printed, graphic and photographic documents subject to legal deposit
- statements accompanying the legal deposit of printed, graphic and photographic documents
- declarations accompanying the legal deposit of phonograms
- videograms fixed on a photochemical medium
- the declaration accompanying the legal deposit of videograms fixed on a photochemical medium
- videograms other than those fixed on a photochemical medium and subject to legal deposit
- the declaration accompanying the legal deposit of videograms other than those fixed on a photochemical medium
- multimedia documents
- statements accompanying the legal deposit of multimedia documents
- software packages, databases and expert systems
- declarations accompanying the legal deposit of software packages, databases and expert systems
- Order of 16 September 2014 establishing the list of bodies authorised to carry out on-the-spot consultation of on-the-spot on-line communication services to the public and audiovisual media services collected under the Legal Deposit
Protection of cultural property
- Decree no. 2008-1412 December 19, 2008 Breach of Historic or Cultural Places Contravention
Specific sanctions for degradation and malicious acts
- Wealth code, article L114-2, amended by law no. 2008-696 of 15 July 2008
- Penal Code, Articles L322-1 and L322-2
Theft of cultural property
Obligation on any official to report to the Prosecutor criminal acts of which he is aware in the performance of his duties
- Code of Criminal Procedure, article 40
Reporting to the prefect of theft and loss affecting cultural property
Movement of cultural goods
- Wealth code, article L111 and R111-1 to R111-25 on the movement of cultural goods
- For private goods: Annex to Regulation (EEC) No 3911/92 Council of 9 December 1992 on the export of cultural goods
Exit from the department of a state-owned document
- General Code of Local Authorities, article R1422-7
Restitution of cultural property
- Wealth code L112-1 to L.112-25 and R112-1 to R112-30
- Directive EU 93/7/EEC on the restitution of cultural property
- Decree no. 95-172 of 17 February 1995 on the definition of second-hand goods, works of art, collectibles and antiques for the application of the provisions on value added tax