On an initiative of the Ministry of Culture, the Centre national des arts plastiques (Cnap), in partnership with the Association de développement et de recherche sur les artothèques (ADRA), is launching a call for applications for an order for prints.
Open to the diversity of artistic practices, this call for applications is addressed to artists developing prospective and experimental research in all fields of visual arts that may give rise to the production of a print.
In the continuity of the orders for multiples and prints initiated by the Cnap in partnership with the Adra, the command «Times change» offers visual artists the opportunity to grasp this assertion in the form of a mantra or relative injunction to give a visual interpretation and propose a print of which 48 copies will join the collections of the art libraries and the Cnap.
As part of this commission, artists working in the visual arts sector are expected to answer the following questions with a print project: What is their vision of the present and what is it based on? How does this vision determine a possible representation of the future? All questions likely to give the viewer keys to imagine perspectives that are both imaginary and real and to see how, from the point of view of artists, “times change…”
The purpose of this order is to 10 multiple original works. The dimensions of the prints must be between mini: 70 x 100 cm and max: 130 x 90 cm (landscape or portrait format). The works will be able to mobilize all the traditional and contemporary techniques of prints.
In keeping with the State’s orders in the field of prints, this new commission aims to recognize and encourage the vitality of contemporary creation in the field of visual arts.
The call for applications aims to select ten artists or collectives of artists. As part of this commission, 20 artists will be, in a first stage, called to give a sketch. The completion of the sketch will result in a copyright fee of €1,000 including taxes.
Les 10 candidates selected for the order will receive a copyright fee of €5,500 including the design, production monitoring and assignment of copyright. An order contract between the winner and the Cnap will be established.
In addition to remuneration, a budget of up to €5,000 including taxes will be allocated to the implementation of 54 copies expected for each print. Each partner will sign with the winners a contract of order specifying the conditions of management and exploitation of the economic rights.
For the implementation of the projects, the artists will be accompanied jointly by the partners of this commission.
Ownership of the 54 copies made will be divided as follows:
- 12 copies will join the Cnap collection (National Contemporary Art Fund);
- 35 copies will be distributed in the art libraries on the national territory under the responsibility of ADRA;
- 6 copies will be kept by the artists;
- 1 copy will be given to the Bibliothèque nationale de France under the title of “legal deposit”.
This call for applications is open to any artist (or collective of artists) in the field of visual arts (comics, drawing, graphic design, illustration, photography, etc.).
Applicants must be able to demonstrate a professional background validated by exhibitions or publications carried by professional venues or publishers.
The applicant artists must be French or if they are of foreign nationality to reside in France on a regular basis.
Applications will be sent to the CNAP electronically to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be open January 9, 2023 (0h) to January 19, 2023 (12h).
Any incomplete or untimely application will not be taken into account. No application may be submitted by mail or physically to the Cnap.
The digital application file (not exceeding 5 MB with the subject: « Name of the candidate-commander the empschangent2020 ») consists of the following parts (in . pdf) grouped into a single file consisting of two parts: one artistic and the other administrative. This file must be layout in landscape format to facilitate its reading on screen:
The artistic part grouping in order the following four pieces:
- A memorandum of intent written in French explaining the motivations for the production of a print intended for distribution, in particular, within the art libraries (2000 signs maximum). In his note of intent the candidate may specify the production workshop and/or the printer with which he would like to make his print;
- A resume or biography (up to 1 A4 page);
- An artistic documentation presenting the work already done (10 pages A4 color and/or black & white max.);
- A short text summarizing the biography (500 signs max.).
The administrative part will group in order the following two pieces:
- A signed letter of application by which the author undertakes to respect the deadlines imposed on the order;
- Certificate (SIRET No. and Certificate of Affiliation or Coverage to the URSSAF or foreign equivalent).
A notice of receipt will be sent between January 20 and January 27, 2023 by email to the nominating artists.
- A representative of the Ministry of Culture,
- Two representatives of the Centre national des arts plastiques (Cnap),
- Two representatives of the Association de développement et de recherche sur les artothèques (ADRA),
- Two artists designated as qualified personalities.
The selection will be made in two stages:
1. A first selection of 20 artists allowed to submit a sketch. The expected rendering will answer the following form:
- Sketch in A4 or A3 format,
- Mention of the final format of the proposed print,
- Proposal presentation text (maximum 2000 signs).
Criteria for analyzing applications:
- Relevance of the artistic achievements presented in the dossier to contemporary artistic languages;
- Adequacy of the approach with the expectations of the order;
- Artistic background of the candidate.
2. The final selection of 10 winners will be based on the analysis of the completed sketches.
Sketch analysis criteria:
- Relevance of the proposal in the current field of creation;
- Relevance of the proposed ordering approach;
- Relevance of the proposal with regard to the heritage character of the Cnap collection and the possibilities of dissemination of the print.
The results will be communicated on March 30, 2023 on the websites of ADRA and CNAP.
Winners will have until 28 September 2023 (strict deadline) to produce and deliver all the expected copies.
An indemnity of €1,000 will be paid to the candidates asked to submit a sketch. This allowance will be deducted from the copyright paid to successful applicants.
The modalities of the realization of the project of each laureate will be defined with him in a contract of commission established by the National Centre of the plastic arts.
- 9 January 2023 (0h) to 19 January 2023 (12h): application period
- February 7, 2023: Selection committee meeting of candidates admitted to submit a sketch
- 20 April 2023 (6pm): date of receipt of the sketches
- April 2023: final selection committee meeting for works to be commissioned and announcement of winning artists
- September 28, 2023: delivery of prints to the Cnap and ADRA
- 1 December 2023: printing of the order
- January 2024: exhibition(s)
The Centre national des arts plastiques (Cnap) is the central operator of the Ministry of Culture for support to the visual arts. He manages the National Contemporary Art Fund and manages several support schemes for the direct benefit of professionals in the sector.