The FRAC Burgundy (Regional Fund of Contemporary Art) and ENSA Dijon (National School of Art) are launching a call for applications for artists at the beginning of their careers for production and exhibition residencies in the Boutique des Bains du Nord in Dijon.
This project initiated in 2019 continues in 2023 with two new residences, from April 3 to May 14 and from September 18 to October 29, 2023
Objectives of the residence
- promote contemporary creation;
- supporting early-career artists in the process of creation and monstration;
- support artists at the beginning of their careers in their professional integration.
Course of residence
Out of the nine weeks that each residency lasts, it is proposed, as an example, that the last three weeks be devoted to the exhibition of works produced as part of this residency in the Boutique des Bains du Nord, However, this distribution of time can of course be modified according to the artistic project, for example the production of the residence and continuous exhibition.
The artist must work in the space allocated to him. The idea being that the artist set up his studio in the Boutique des Bains du Nord to work on his project.
The Boutique des Bains du Nord is a place of creation, but also a place of reception of the public: the artist in residence must be able to welcome punctually visitors wishing to exchange with him on his project and his artistic universe.
Conditions, support and support
The residences include:
- accessibility to the Boutique des Bains du Nord, a 30m2 space composed of two rooms (one of 14m2 and the other of 16 m2),
- a grant of €3,000/artist paid in accordance with the terms of the agreement;
- organizational support with the provision of a space of 30 m2 for the creation and display of works;
- support for daily life with the provision of free accommodation;
- technical support (equipment loan);
- support for the installation of the exhibition by the staff of FRAC Burgundy in the Boutique des Bains du Nord.
- free accommodation if necessary offered by the ENSA Dijon for a period of six (6) weeks (from 3 April to 14 May and from 18 September to 29 October 2023).
Two residences are scheduled for 2023 in the boutique des Bains du Nord: one will be held from April 3 to June 4, 2023 and the other of the September 18 to November 19, 2023.
The two winners will be selected through a single call for nominations. Candidates will have the choice to present themselves for either or both residences: the information must be mentioned in the letter accompanying the application file. So there will only be one call for residence issued in December 2022 for 2023. The selection committee will nominate the two winners for 2023 based on the quality, originality and feasibility of their residency project in the Boutique des Bains du Nord.
The members of the selection committee will be particularly attentive to the consideration in the project proposed by the artist, of the context of the residence (downtown, central hall in front of the Boutique des Bains du Nord, history of the Bains du Nord - former public baths, former shopping mall, link between the creative space and the public space, use of the showcase – link between two worlds…) and exploitation of the latter.
- hold a DNSEP obtained at ENSA Dijon for at least 2 years;
- be an artist established in the Burgundy-Franche-Comté region for at least 2 years.
How to apply?
Applications must be sent by e-mail with the subject line "STOREFRONT", in PDF format with the title "NOM_STOREFRONT_2022" not exceeding 20 MB, to the following address: email@example.com
Application packages will include:
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae with SIRET number and MDA order number;
- a presentation of your artistic work with visuals;
- a note of intent presenting your project and your motivations.
It is also imperative to specify in the presentation of your project:
- if you are applying:
- for the STOREFRONT #9 residence, from April 3 to June 4, 2023 or*
- for the STOREFRONT #10 residence, from 18 September to 19 November 2023
* (you can apply to either or both residences).
- and whether or not you wish to occupy the studio proposed by ENSA Dijon
Download the entire call for residence
Carole Grandgirard: firstname.lastname@example.org - 0380671818
The FRAC BOURGOGNE is one of the 23 Regional Contemporary Art Funds certified by the Ministry of Culture. Over the years, it has developed a rich regional fund of contemporary art. From a corpus of high historical value, the acquisition policy has become more attentive to young creation and dissemination activities have intensified. Today, with its 809 works, a work with the other artistic institutions of the region, it opens up to new modes of circulation in order to better irrigate the territory and to bring the works closer and closer to the population.
Created in 1982 at the initiative of the Ministry of Culture, on the basis of a State-Regions partnership, FRAC is an original and essential tool to support the creation, cultural planning of the territory and public awareness, particularly by the mobility of collections that characterizes them. The dissemination of works, their circulation through exhibitions, their visibility through publications contribute to the dissemination and export of French culture.
In 2021, 1.2 million visitors were welcomed into the Fonds régionaux d'art contemporain.