For the artist, this 3-month residency (from May 2023) is the opportunity to benefit from a dedicated work time within a training institution that allows the provision of expertise, technical support via ceramists, specialized trainers, equipment and tools adapted to the practice. It is also a time for exchange with the audiences of the European Institute of Ceramic Arts (IEAC).
Purpose of residence
The residency is intended for any artist or artisan of art residing in France or abroad, engaged in a professional approach of creation and having sufficient knowledge of the material and the techniques of implementation to evaluate, Organize and carry out your project independently.
The support and expertise provided by the IEAC will focus on the choice of materials and techniques adapted to the artist’s expectations, the use of the proposed equipment and the artistic questioning around the medium earth.
The objective is both to make new artists known to the public, who have an innovative or at least singular artistic purpose, and to allow these artists to develop their projects by helping them in the various stages of their creation.
The residency is part of the overall framework of the cultural project of the IEAC which is committed to accompany a project of creation over the duration. To do this, the IEAC will provide workspaces, administrative, artistic and technical support, while being a force of proposal and looking at the project.
A personal and individual workshop of 23 m² will be made available to the artist in residence to conduct his research from Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 6 pm.
During this residency, the artist will be immersed in the life of the institution.
The IEAC also has a computer space as well as a library, which is necessary for researching and compiling documents relating to the artist’s work. Internet connection is ensured during the residence time.
12 non-consecutive weeks per 3 weeks minimum, spread out according to a schedule established and validated by both parties.
from April to October
the artist will benefit from a fixed stay allowance of 2500€ for the entire residence.
a sum of 1000 € maximum for the material needed for the residence will be granted. This amount includes creative supplies, shipping, transportation including packaging, and additional display equipment if applicable. The purchase of small tools is excluded.
Travel expenses will be reimbursed to the artist from his main place of residence at the IEAC according to the schedule established by both parties and at the SNCF 2nd class rate. Payment will be made on presentation of a detailed invoice.
- A right of public presentation of €500 will be donated to the artist as part of an end-of-residence exhibition. The presence of the artist for the editing and the vernissage of it will be necessary.
- Fees of €50/hour will be collected by the artist for all other restitution actions (excluding residence and preparation time) and within the limit of €500 (conference, workshops, performance, etc.).
- The cost of accommodation and travel (at the SNCF 2nd class rate) outside the periods of residence will be borne by the IEAC.
- A contract, defining the terms of reception and restitution, will be established beforehand between the artist and the IEAC.
communication costs relating to the restitution project (exhibition, conference(s), publishing, etc.) will be borne by the IEAC. The tools and means of communication will be determined by the IEAC, in consultation with the artist and depending on the project.
Nomination Package - Exhibits to be provided:
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae with contact details and internet links: website, blog, Instagram, etc.
- a portfolio, PDF format (10Mb max) including a text presenting the creative process, 5 to 10 images of captioned works.
- a memorandum of intent describing the project, its relationship to the ceramic material, the research that the creator wishes to undertake during the period of residence, the identification of the necessary raw materials and their quantities.
- a memorandum of intent on the proposed restitution project.
- a copy of the certificate of affiliation to the Maison des artistes-sécurité sociale, AGESSA or URSSAF, or any other document proving professional status, including for foreign artists.
- the certificate of exemption from withholding tax for artistic income.
- No. of social security.
- SIRET number and APE code.
- a situation notice in the SIREN directory (online: https://avis-situationsirene.insee.fr/).
- a certificate of liability insurance.
The jury will be sensitive to the overall quality of the artistic approach and how the project fits into the context of the IEAC. It will also take into account the artist’s technical knowledge.
Complete application package must be returned before 26 February 2023 at midnight, by email, in PDF format (only one file) to: email@example.com
Subject of the email: LAST NAME First Name - Residence application IEAC 2023
Participants will be informed of the selection results by e-mail from 20 March 2023.
The European Institute of Ceramic Arts is part of a cultural project in synergy with the labelling of local heritage as a “Country of Art and History” and is based mainly on the teaching and dissemination of ceramic arts at the local, regional and international levels.
The IEAC cultural and educational project is supported by the Ministry of Culture/Drac Grand Est.