In the xvth, the sanctuary Notre-Dame des Fontaines was
not as isolated as it is today. Indeed, the important mule track of the pass of
Collardente, leading to Liguria or he Riviera, passed alongside the chapel. Its
fame brought many pilgrims from various regions (Liguria, Piedmont, Provence).
The first document about the chapel is probably a deed executed by a
notary which mentions the managers of the building and which is dated from the
17th of November of 1375.
The edifice was built on irregulars springs of water to which people
attributed many miracles during their resurgence. That explains the name of the
According to an old legend, the springs of la Brigue dried up, probably
owing to an earthquake. As they could no longer water their fields, the peasants
made the wish to erect a chapel to
Virgin Mary, if she could bring back the water.
The springs started flowing again. The inhabitants of La Brigue thus
erected a sanctuary to show their gratitude for this miracle.
The order of the decoration that covers all the inside of the building
has certainly been made by the community of La Brigue, thanks to the pilgrims'