THE ANCIENT SHIPWRECK OF THE TITAN

The ancient wreck of the Titan is situated at a depth of 27 to 29 meters at the edge of the Island of Levant.
It was discovered by Doctor Piroux, and after undergoing an initial examination in 1954, it was excavated by Philippe Tailliez, then a frigate captain, with physical assistance by the French Navy. Coming after the excavation of Grand Congloué, the work on the Titan is considered as the first scientific excavation of a shipwreck.

After the proper excavation, a diagram of the site and the wreck was produced. For the first time, a complete vertical photographic coverage of an underwater site was undertaken, and the recovered objects were catalogued according to coordinates put down on the ocean floor.

Philippe Tailliez holding a part of the planking

What remained of the cargo at the onset of the excavation were 700 amphoras of two types (Dressel 10 an 12) containing pickled fish (principally tuna), and one containing almonds.

Numerous objects were recovered: common and black lacquered pottery, copper containers, oil lamps, tiles, grain mills, leaden anchor stocks, some coins, among them the votive coin placed in a hollow of the mast's step, with which the vessel could be dated to the first century BC.

The disengaged remains of the hull measured 20 X 4 meters. It consisted of membranes on a double-sided hull that were assembled with a traditional system of mortise and tenon. A complete elevation of the keel and the remains of the hull were constructed.

Excavation : Philippe Tailliez, frigate captain.

Photos :
GERS (n°1),
Jacques Ertaud (n°2)
Philippe Tailliez (n°3 et 4)