Since 1952, excavations have been conducted at a site dubbed Grand-Congloué, after the rock at the bottom of which it is located. Situated in the Marseilles basin, the site has been excavated by a team of divers from the crew of Commander Cousteau, under the leadership of Professor Fernand Benoit, the Director of Antiquities of Provence.
It took experts 25 years of study to determine that there are actually two superimposed ships, which sank close to a century apart:
|The shipwreck Grand-Congloué 1 dates to the second century BC. Its cargo consisted in essence of about 400 wine amphoras of Greco-Roman origin, and 7000 pieces of dishes from Campania. About 30 Greek amphoras completed the lot.|
on the lips of amphoras
|The shipwreck Grand-Congloué 2, dating to the late second or very early first century BC, contained more than a thousand Roman wine amphoras of the type Dressel 1A. Recent studied have proven that they came from Cosa in Etruria, the present-day Tuscany.|
|The cargo of Grand Congloué is kept at the Museum of the Roman Docks at Marseilles.|