A new location for the school
After 168 years of instruction, the school was moved in 1816 to where it
still stands today, in a group of historic buildings which
occupies two hectares of land in the heart of Paris' university district. Since
then the school has represented, both geographically and socially, the very
centre of artistic life in Paris. In 1863, as directed by Napoléon
III, the school became independant of the administration of the
Académie and was renamed L'Ecole des Beaux-Arts.